Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's cut the crap......I'm cold! >

Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 PM

Default RE: Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

we hunt in iowa in single digits alot of time for the whole day. i have found that i stay the warmest when my head and my feet are warm. i have muck boots and a good facemask. and i layer clothes on as well. carhartts are real good for cold weather
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

iF YOUR REAL COLD USED A SLEEPING BAG TO WRAP YOURSELF IN.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Artic sheild makes a "lighter" version of its heavy cold gear. but the breathability of the fabric is non existant. if a short walk and leg zippers open and jacket open not too bad or dress at stand. very warm,very wind proof. the lighter version has no insulation in the arms only the core and the pants have a elastic wait band and you will heat up in those as well on long walks but no leg zippers to help vent..
I am trying to find camo that has the windproof and warmth of AS combined with the breathability of under armor key word is trying or rather wishing..
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Double Creek
Ok guys, I guess I'm just a southern weenie, but I can't handle the dang cold weather! And I know 30 degrees isn't cold to most of you, but that is dang cold for here!

Now, I'm good on the stand for up to 3 hrs, maybe 3.5...... But when I start putting in those long, 4-5 hour sits, I get dang right cold! Shaking cold......can't shoot a bow cold......

Here is what I had on this past weekend and still got cold!

Top:
Under Armour Cold Gear
Another layer of cold gear
Duofold thermal underwear
Thin wool shirt
Insulated Grey Wolf wool vest
Warm knit sweater

Bottom:
Under armour cold gear
duo fold underwear
thin pants
unlined wool pants from Grey Wolf

In addition, wool hat and face mask....

Now, I packed all this gear in to make sure I didn't sweat.....

Like I mentioned, up to 3hrs, no problem.....4+hrs.....big problem.....

What am I missing here?
Get your self a sleeping bag, works great in the cold on stand.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Layers. Lots of layers, lots and lots of thin layers - preferably wool.
Facemask/stocking cap thing, and good gloves.
Ought to be able to go the whole day that way.

I'd also suggest that you carry most of your stuff to your stand in a backpack, then put it on at the base of the tree before you climb up into the stand. That way you won't drown in sweat or otherwise overheat on the way in and freeze in your sweat thereafter.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

but yeah loose layers...toastie toes and hot hands help immensely...as does a warm facemask/cap.

don't forget your binky
Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Merino Wool all the way around. Forget poly and synthetics. Use the First Lite layering system (www.firstlite.com). Light, medium, heavy, outer. I am eventually going to pick up their new outer shells, but, as mentioned, windoroof is key. Midway USA has free shipping on First Lite stuff and you can usually find 10% coupon codes for Midway if you search around. One of the best things about First Lite is that all your layers are camo, so you can wear the same stuff early archery thru late season. Your late season base layer is your early season outer layer, and so forth.

Also, FWIW, the ASAT pattern is the best around IMO. I've been sitting against a tree with no cover and had deer pass literally 5 yards in front of me. Awesome!!

Stuff that has alredy been mentioned: Kidney belt is also a good idea. I use a Cabelas waist muff and put a large Handwarmer in it and my hands are toasty warm with only thin gloves on (sometimes too warm). ROOM in your boots is key. I wear SHEER polypropylene sock liners and merino wool socks and that's it. Tie your boots loosely except at the very top, where it should be barely snug. Battery heated insoles might be a good idea. Never tried them but have thought about it. I use the Toastie Toes but I don't think they work that well.

Oh, and avoid cotton AT ALL COSTS. Since you are human you WILL prespire and the cotton WILL hold the moisture and WILL get you cold.

Some guys just don't understand those of us who are cold natured, so don't worry about those giving you guff. If you are SHIVERING you can't shoot a deer, and deciding to "man up" isn't going to make your body stop shivering!

One thing I am going to have to change for next season is my climber. I have a summit viper and my arms make significant contact with the side rails. Making contact with anything metal sucks the heat right out of you, so try to avoid it if possible.

Also, consider still hunting when the conditions are right. Wet leaves, rain, snow, significant wind when leaves are dry. When I am ON MY FEET, though only moving like 50 yards per hour, I find that I need very little to keep warm in comparison to stand hunting. And, IMO, sneaking up on a deer is much more exciting and rewarding than sitting in a stand for hours, though I love BOTH types of hunting.

One more thought, hunting from the ground (even sans a store-bought blind) is MUCH warmer than being up on a stand. Even though these are designed for treestands, I use one on the ground when leaning against a tree. Instead of attaching to tree, I just buckle it around my waist. Makes a HUGE difference in how long I can sit against a tree.

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product...a=993801&tab=1
Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Heater Body Suit. I gaurentee you will stay warm all day. Its not an article of clothing you can walk in. Its something you put on after your in the stand. I zip mine up about 2/3 of the way and drop a hand warmer or two in it and honestly Im good for all day if I want to stay that long. Retails for about $300 when I got mine. I used to have terrible problems with my feet getting cold but I bought a pair of Irish Setter Snow Claw XT boots and they truly are the S**t. 2000grams of insulation and my feet are never cold. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Spike

Scentlok Commando suit.. lacrosse 1600 boots.. i'm from florida so I know what your talking about. I wore under armor cold gear thermals and a light fleece top and bottom and was good all day in 28-33 degrees with the Scentlock Commando jacket. I don't like to be bulky bowhuntin and I was very impressed with the jacket, I'll be getting the pants to match soon.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Some of our members from more northerly locations might chime in here (after they stop snickering about those of us from further south being cold) and suggest some ice fishing apparel. I think there's like a whole industry out there supplying ice fishermen, and I'll bet that stuff will make you TOO warm...

Quick Reply: Let's cut the crap......I'm cold!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.