Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Diesel or gas?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Diesel or gas?

I know this has probably been posted before but I am looking to get a new truck go out west every year elk hunting pull a small trailer nothing to big but I just love them Diesels! any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Diesel or gas?

I drive a dodge dually with the cummins and love it. the only thing that would concern me is the amount of driving and towing that would be done. if youre doing alot of towing a big trailer than the diesel will be a good option, especially if youre gonna keep it for awhile.
a diesel here in canada is an 7grand option and that is alot of fuel savings to overcome. to further kick me in the twig 'n berries is the fact that diesel is more expensive than gas at the moment and has been for a few months...
diesels will last longer than the gas jobber (if maintained) but the maintenance is more expensive as well.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocam79

pull a small trailer nothing to big....
You answered your question right there. If you're not towing big loads, and big loads daily, you don't NEED a diesel. Now that doesn't mean you can't drive one, and if you really like them, go for it. Your needs, however, based on what you mentioned does not warrant a diesel. Depending on the size of the trailer, even a midsize pickup will do the trick (my 05 Tacoma with the towing package will tow 6500lbs). Diesel (modern diesels) actually burn cleaner, and more effiecient than gas, but in a big diesel pickup, the gas savings between it and a gasser pickup will be negliable. Additionally, given the fact that diesle costs ~$.20-$.40 more a gallon than 87, you would need to drive a TON of miles to reach the break-even point in fuel savings.

Again, if you truly WANT a diesel, and can afford it, go for it. I love diesel's and the power they produce, but I certainly didn't need one. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think it much matters anymore. Even though diesels get better fuel mileage the cost of diesel fuel and the cost of a diesel motor is just crazy now.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Spike

I bought an F-350 crew cab, long box with the diesel little over a year ago. I went big knowing I was going to keep the truck 10+ years.I have a company truck for dailydriving.I head west everyother year. I now have the room and power to pull just about anything I want in regards to a hunting adventure. I looked at it as a long term investment in my love for hunting. Plus I think diesels are just plain cool!!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM

A couple years down the road, I think the best of both world's will finally be available. 1/2 ton trucks with diesels will be offered by most of the major manufacturers and there are touted to put out ~250-300HP and ~500+ ft. lb torque and get 25-30 MPG.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you everybody for your input dont know if i should hold out for them new ones to come out or not.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM

the big three have been talking about putting a smaller (4.0 lt) diesel in the half tons since JC was a cowboy!
europe has been diesel for decades and we continue to drag behind. and i dont think there is alot of drive over this when you look at diesel sales in the cherokee...way down!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

A couple years down the road, I think the best of both world's will finally be available. 1/2 ton trucks with diesels will be offered by most of the major manufacturers and there are touted to put out ~250-300HP and ~500+ ft. lb torque and get 25-30 MPG.
Don't get to over-excited about that....

That 25-30mpg is a big STRETCH. I drive a tuned up 99 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/ Cummins 5.9 TD, it has the injection advanced a bit, open exhaust, K&N Air System, and a FASS system w/ an upgrade Injection pump, most all done for power, while still gaining a little on the fuel economy side. I can avg. about 20mpg, but that's only if I DON'T PLAY. The other side of that though is that I can tow anything I want, and have no hesitation going up a mountain under load like a Gas Engine does. It's all in what a guy wants. I've had my truck for coming up on 9 yrs. Put $900 in a new clutch (including installation), and $1600 in engine work (new IP, FASS system, injection bump) new exhaust $300, etc. I change the oil every 5K, whether it needs it or not, cost about $40. But the resale on a Diesel usually stays pretty well. The other thing to consider is that in the summer time, sometimes diesel will run $.20-40/gal cheaper. The main reason it is HIGHER in the winter is because it's essentially the same thing as FUEL OIL, therefore if a guy really wanted to, he could go get diesel fuel and fill his fuel oil tank up, and it actually burns a little cleaner from what I've heard.

Solocam,
If you can afford it, and you don't mind the overall costs being comparable to a gas-engine, except the longevity is much better with a diesel, go for it. Mine still has enough compression I lose nothing going up and down the best of the mountains, be it Colorado or WV.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a F-3504 years ago and have owned 3 diesels prior tothat one. Diesel was much cheaper than regular fuel back then. The past 2 years diesel has become rediculously expensive. I tow a 30 ft enclosed trailer with a race car, and other things, so I decided on the diesel option. Now, Im not sure the cost verses few extra MPG are even worth it as I dont pull a trailer every day, but I do drive my truck every day. Diesels are much more expensive to maintain, fuel filers, oil filters, 15 qts of syntheticoil every 5k in the new truck gets expensive especially if you drive alot like myself. I have 120k miles on the truck in4 years, thats360 qts of oil not to mention filters. And, some diesels do not like starting in real cold weather after sitting overnight, another thing to consider, most have block heater plugs so its not that big a deal, just more an inconvenience I suppose.

The next truck I get I will have to seiously sit down and crunch numbers before amking a final decision. I may have to change my HNI name to Biodiesel77 lol.

Quick Reply: Diesel or gas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.