HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Diesel or gas?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Diesel or gas?

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

A couple years down the road, I think the best of both world's will finally be available. 1/2 ton trucks with diesels will be offered by most of the major manufacturers and there are touted to put out ~250-300HP and ~500+ ft. lb torque and get 25-30 MPG.
Don't get to over-excited about that....

That 25-30mpg is a big STRETCH. I drive a tuned up 99 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/ Cummins 5.9 TD, it has the injection advanced a bit, open exhaust, K&N Air System, and a FASS system w/ an upgrade Injection pump, most all done for power, while still gaining a little on the fuel economy side. I can avg. about 20mpg, but that's only if I DON'T PLAY. The other side of that though is that I can tow anything I want, and have no hesitation going up a mountain under load like a Gas Engine does. It's all in what a guy wants. I've had my truck for coming up on 9 yrs. Put $900 in a new clutch (including installation), and $1600 in engine work (new IP, FASS system, injection bump) new exhaust $300, etc. I change the oil every 5K, whether it needs it or not, cost about $40. But the resale on a Diesel usually stays pretty well. The other thing to consider is that in the summer time, sometimes diesel will run $.20-40/gal cheaper. The main reason it is HIGHER in the winter is because it's essentially the same thing as FUEL OIL, therefore if a guy really wanted to, he could go get diesel fuel and fill his fuel oil tank up, and it actually burns a little cleaner from what I've heard.

Solocam,
If you can afford it, and you don't mind the overall costs being comparable to a gas-engine, except the longevity is much better with a diesel, go for it. Mine still has enough compression I lose nothing going up and down the best of the mountains, be it Colorado or WV.