Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Diesel or gas?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:27 PM

Default RE: Diesel or gas?

I don't think 25-30 MPG is pushing it a whole lot when talking about a 4-5L engine compared to a 6L+ and a truck that weighs 600 lb less. I'm not talking pulling anything, just daily driving.

musky, yea I know what your saying...Maybe just maybe it might come true...I think there is a definate market for them. At least I think it's a good diea.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 PM

My oil changes on the truck are on the 10000 kms (approx 8000miles) with synthetic and it costs about 170 bucks to do it...

The one thing I really like about my cummins is that I have plugged in the truck once when it hit minus 35 celcius and its been minus 22, 25 degrees celcius most of the time. My old Ford with the Intersmashable wouldnt have been able to do that.

Its definately a huge investment and should be thought out thoroughly before paying the extras that come along with it.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I don't think 25-30 MPG is pushing it a whole lot when talking about a 4-5L engine compared to a 6L+ and a truck that weighs 600 lb less. I'm not talking pulling anything, just daily driving.

musky, yea I know what your saying...Maybe just maybe it might come true...I think there is a definate market for them. At least I think it's a good diea.
I have to agree here. The new Chevy diesels are already getting around 20-22mpg on the hwy. So how is it a stretch that you cant 4-8mpg with a lighter and smaller engine truck? Gas mileage is the name of the industry these days with rediculous gas prices so they are going to be pushing to improve these things.

To answer the question, I would go with a diesel for fuel economy becuase i believe they get better mpg than gas trucks especially with a 4x4 package.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a 05, 3500 cummins diesel and absolutely love it, the torque, fuel mileage (legit 18-20 bone stock, have only had it flashed)and towing performance is just amazing. From towing my 9,000 lb camper trailer it just amazes me what this pickup can do. I am keeping mine for the long haul. I've added a lot of extras to it and wouldnt trade it in on a new one, I have it set up exactly how I want it and couldnt behappier.

Once I get over 100,000 on it, I will most likely chip it and set itup with a new exhaust. For now I dont want to void any warrenty.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I love my 05 GMC Crew Cab Diesel. The feul mileage is great compared to gas. My friend has the same truck with the rL gas engine. He averages 12 mpg on good days. I have no problem keeping my truck over 18 mpg and it's stock. A friend from highschool went to be a diesel mechanic. He had a lat 90's cummin's that he did some work to (injectors, exaughst, chip, ect.) He was getting high 20's in the mpg out of that and pushing 500 hp.There are a lot of advantages of a diesel over the gas. Also as stated before the new half ton trucks are going to be offered witht he smaller diesel. For me though after going to the heavey duty truck I dont think I could go back to a half ton.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve only owned on diesel truck. I wouldn’t own another one unless I had to (large trailer/lots of hauling whatever).
I spent $3,800 on an injector pump and a tank cleaning. Parts alone were going to cost me $2,800 (and this was a rebuilt pump). You can buy a gas engine for that kind of money.
Plugging it in on cold nights was a pain (especially when you forget). Also, if you’re going to take it off road at all, I’d go with gas. Try “rocking” a diesel truck (shifting between forward and reverse when stuck), it doesn’t work.
Diesel most certainly has it’s place, but not for how I use a truck.
Good luck,
KP
Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I've owned diesels since 1998. They area good investmentif used for their intended purpose - hauling heavy loads and/or racking up alot of mileage. All my buddies havediesel rigsb/c we rope and cowboy so we NEED them, a gas motor just won't hold up under the stress we put on them. But if I didn't haul as much I'd definately switch to a gas rig. Diesels are expensive to maintain and I don't care what kind you get, they all have certain problems and are not cheap to fix (go talk to a diesel mechanic and you'll see what I mean). And forget about taking it off-road, all the 4 wheel drive will get you out of is a wet pasture (especially in a dually), put that dude in the mud and theheavy motor will sink like a guilliteine. I'm not trying to talk you out of it but just know what you're getting into.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM

The new chevy 07's are getting 27 on the highway, So there your out on the gas mileage thing real quick. Plus the parts to replace on the desiels is so muc more expensive.. I would stick in your gas to a good gaser truck I.e. GM, ford to but its hard to beet 5 years 100,000 mile warrenty on a new truck ford and dodge aint doin it so until they can give a better warrenty or make a better gas mileage truck its GM for me
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went through this same decision making process a couple years ago. I ended up with a gasser and 76,000 miles later I think I made a very good decision. We ended up with a 2005 Chevy Z71 crew cab. It gets close the same fuel economy as a diesel (I regularly get 19 mpg on the highway running long distances without a load) as long as I'm not pulling anything heavy.

I have pulled a heavy load for maybe 2,000 of those 76,000 miles. That is where the diesel shines on fuel economy. I get right at 10 mpg pulling a 7,000 GVR trailer loaded or possibly a little overloaded with my tractor and implements. It knows it's back there that's for sure. I'm still happy with my decision (that horrible mileage cost me about $200 over what a diesel would have gotten) but ifyouare going to be pulling 25%+ or more of the time I would say a diesel is the way to go.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

You cant compare a gas half ton truck to a heavy duty diesel to get the mpg comparison. Get a realistic look by taking a 1 ton or 3/4 ton truck both in the same packages with different engines and see where they rate. I have both a 2005 2500HD Crew cab that is diesel and a 2001 z71 ext cab that has a 5.3L gas engine. They get roughly the same fuel mileage empty. But its not comparing apples to apples. Those trucks are completely different.

Quick Reply: Diesel or gas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.