Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turkey hunting with the bow? >

Turkey hunting with the bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey hunting with the bow?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Turkey hunting with the bow?

Anyone else find this DRASTICALLY more difficult (for THEM), besides me?

If I hunted for deer as hard as I had to for turkeys......well......I'd kill a lot more deer.

Maybe my expectations are too high, but I see a "legitimate" target while turkey hunting....I'm guessing.....every 7 or so hunts. My chances at a "legitimate" target while deer hunting are FAR greater.

Now.....if I had to wait on a male deer (comparing it to turkey hunting).....the % of "legitimate" chances at a target would roughly be the same.

If God called down and told me I had to kill a deer or a turkey, though (with my bow).....I'm grabbing a treestand.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM

Default RE: Turkey hunting with the bow?

Jeff, I'll tell ya....the problem I have is that these damn eastern's are the most call shy, impossible to call in birds I've ever seen. Every once in a while I'll catch one in the right mood, and he'll all but run me over, but far and away, I give up.....LOL......

I've killed one w/ my bow, and amazingly, I was merely kneeling against a tree....Called 2 in actually, and had to wait for them to be distracted before drawing. Shot that rascal at a scant 5 yards....

Shoot, I can barely get drawn on them in a treestand w/out being spotted. I think they can see straight up without "looking up." Stinkin birds.....
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I killed the grandslam no sweat with the bow in less then a year. Now I am after it with the muzzleloader and they are making fools of me. Each season that goes by I appreciate my bow slam more and more. I guess you can say its hunting you never know whats gonna happen.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really know to be honest. I'll assume your talking about spring hunting here. I took my bow out 2x in the 06' season, and had a tough time. I ended up getting frustrated and then got it done w/ the shotgun the first time out after carrying the bow. The next time I took the bow out I shot that 22lber last spring. So I'm batting 1/3 right now.......[8D].

I couldn't tell you how many times I've passed shots on turkeys in the fall. They always seem to show up in the fall for me during that precious week of primetime, the last week of the PA season. I just can't bring myself to shoot a bird during this week, in case a slammer buck is headed my way just to see a stinkin bird flopping around with an arrow stuck in it. Last fall I took that video that some of you had seen with over 20 turkeys at less than 20 yards and actually came to full draw and settled on one, but just couldn't bring myself to let it loose.......I didn't want to ruin the mornings hunt during primetime.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I killed the grandslam no sweat with the bow in less then a year. Now I am after it with the muzzleloader and they are making fools of me. Each season that goes by I appreciate my bow slam more and more. I guess you can say its hunting you never know whats gonna happen.
Respect!

Matt.....Thanksgiving of the '05 season....my son and I count 65 turkeys in the field in front of us. That's 65 turkeys in bow range. We don't even have a season for them in the Fall in NC. At no time does a turkey and deer season overlap. I'd like to know how many I could have killed from my treestand.....but I also know that they're different, everywhere.

So yes....my discussion is about Spring birds. If you guys are calling them in.....ambushing them.....or whatever....and you're successful in killing them spring birds.

Again....Respect! They got me, last year (all but one of 'em).
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys with a bow is the only type of hunting I have given up in. I tried for three years and learned a lot, but I like the taste of wild turkey so much I switched back to the shotgun rather than go without. Of course, I probably could have shot one with a ground blind if I had used one, but I would rather try and fool them with just full camo and the bow. When you try that people, it is HARD.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

tried sticking one with tribute last spring. i called in a jake within the first hour and a half. thinking "this turkey hunting with a bow is easy." i proceeded to shot right over the top of his back and stick my $10 spitfire into an oak log. i was able to salvage the arrow so that was a bonus.i made up for it 2 days later with the 870. i took my stepson with me. that little turd sat in the woods with me from dawn until 6:00 pm when i finallyfilled my tag. i popped that long beard at 25 yards, the feathers hadn't even settled to the ground and he was jumping up and down shouting "that was awsome"
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess im lucky. We must have stupid birds. I get one just about every time I go out. The key is to get on the ground and make a good blind. I always set out my decoys, build up a blind out of materials that are at hand, then call and wait. The trick is to make your blind with a good dense back cover and few open places to shoot through. Wear dark cloths or dark camo and a face screen or black mask. If you are in a tree, watch his head real close. They have great peripheral vision.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Bartender

I have not tried Turkey with a bow yet. This coming spring I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I agree this could be difficult because
usually their are safety in numbers and I won't get a jake or tom by himself. I assume most of you guys use a blind for this?
Now I havent done this so here is another question so be easy on me, Ok to use my 2 blade rage? I will do a search and see if their are specialty heads
for turkeys.

Peace
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Took this guy last spring while out hog hunting. Wasnt even trying for turkey. Just heard some gobblers calling in the distance, so I set up on the edge of the field I heard them in, made a quick blind and called with my mouth. Didnt have a call. He got within 35 yards. Just understand that turkey have a small area to hit. The feathers will throw you off.

Quick Reply: Turkey hunting with the bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.