Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turkey hunting with the bow? >

Turkey hunting with the bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey hunting with the bow?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey hunting with the bow?

I've only turkey hunted two seasons. I managed to arrow a jake my first season. I had an Ameristep blind on the edge of a rye field. I knew from scouting that the turkeys come to that field just about every afternoon. I just sat and ambushed - no calling required.

Last year I tried calling them during the spring with NO blind. I sat up under a bushy tree with lots of low branches that I timmed for shooting lanes. I managed to call in two beautiful Toms with my mouth call, but they hung up at about 40 yards and wouldn't present me a shot. I had a lone hen decoy and they were wanting her to come to them.

It's a blast, but it's tough. I think the easiest thing is to set up a blind in a known travel corridor and ambush them.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the area of KS. that we turkey hunt, success is all about patterns. Get them patterned, and killing them is much easier than killing a mature buck. We do use DB groundblinds. I've gone the last three years with at least one bow killed spring turkey. Two seasons ago, I shot my best bird to date,. which had three beards and limb hangin' spurs!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never even killed a turkey with a shotgun. Not many turkeys around my place.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

tough task with a gun! let a lone a bow
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM

I finally got one this past May. About the most difficult (and rewarding) type of hunting I have ever done. I went out 14 times. Had a bird just about everyouting thatwould have beena high percentage shotgun kill. Only fired 6 arrows. Two outright misses. One bird narrowly dodged the arrow - lost a bunch of feathers. Hit three birds dead center - have it on video. Two got away. Went to the adder washer on my last outing, and finally got this old bachelor gobbler at 25 yards. It was as rewarding as killing a 300 inch bull elk.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont know yet!! I feel i got very lucky last season hunting them for the first time with archery gear, i got lucky and scored a dandy the first sit out of a natural ground blind Hunsucker style The best thing on my side is trying to get a routine pattern on them before the season starts.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Spike

Last year was my first year hunting turkeys with the bow. Actually put arrows into/through the two biggest birds I have had opportunities to shoot but,

1. The first bird I shot ran about 50 yards away through some trees and across astream. When I walked up to him there were two coyotes eating him and one ran offwith the turkey and my arrow.

2. The second turkey I nailed through the wing joint and he ran upout of the draw before I got a second shot. Followed himin plain sight (he was about 200 yards in front of me) until he dropped out of the pasture and into another big wooded draw. I searched for that bird for 4 hours on footwith my father in law and never found him.

My question for all of you is what broadhead use are using. I was using 100 grain NAP Spitfire's because that is what someone had recommened to me. I've been eyeing the new Mangus Bullhead and the Fuse Strut Buster. If you have had success please let me know what you have used.

It's hard, but addictive and I will definitely be out there again this spring and fall.

Ty
Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

never did it but it looks challenging
Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frog5533

Last year was my first year hunting turkeys with the bow. Actually put arrows into/through the two biggest birds I have had opportunities to shoot but,

1. The first bird I shot ran about 50 yards away through some trees and across astream. When I walked up to him there were two coyotes eating him and one ran offwith the turkey and my arrow.

2. The second turkey I nailed through the wing joint and he ran upout of the draw before I got a second shot. Followed himin plain sight (he was about 200 yards in front of me) until he dropped out of the pasture and into another big wooded draw. I searched for that bird for 4 hours on footwith my father in law and never found him.

My question for all of you is what broadhead use are using. I was using 100 grain NAP Spitfire's because that is what someone had recommened to me. I've been eyeing the new Mangus Bullhead and the Fuse Strut Buster. If you have had success please let me know what you have used.

It's hard, but addictive and I will definitely be out there again this spring and fall.

Ty
Spitfire gobbler getters work great. The bird that got away was it a broadside shot? Because every turkeythat I took the joint off didnt go more then 10 yards and was dead.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Had a bird just about everyouting thatwould have beena high percentage shotgun kill.
I would have been tagged out in the first week if I'dbeen employinga shotgun.

That's what makes it so rewarding, to ME. I'll be back at 'em on 4/12.

Quick Reply: Turkey hunting with the bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.