Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What size peep? What design? >

What size peep? What design?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What size peep? What design?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: What size peep? What design?

Depending on the sight I'm using, I either have a 1/4 or 3/16 peep andalways with a tube. I set the peep up so that it's in position when I draw but I also use the tube as a backup. This way I know for sure my peep will be aligned when I draw.

I change my peep tube twice a year whether it needs it or not. Once before the season and once right after it.

I have no problems with them breaking, and even if it did, if set up correctly it would have barely enough inertia to make it back to the string much less put an eye out LOL!!! I've tested that theory and debunked it some time ago. I stretched some tubes to the limit and let them go and none of them as much as made my eye water. Most didn't even hit me in the eye and even more just stopped at the peep with not enough inertia to do any harm at all. A lot of "tall stories" being told about the "dangers" of peep tubing.

I suspect what's causing thetubes to break in the first place isthey're probablyinstalled incorrectly. It should have just enough tension to keep the peepaligned. If your peep is not aligned to begin with (off 180deg or something like that) thenyou are asking too much from the tubing. Get it close and the tube will do the rest. Ideally get the peep to align perfectly (what I do) and you will have absolutely nothing to worry about.

As far as sound goes, yep I bet it makes the bow a little louder than if it wasn't on there but all of those dead deer over the years didn't seem to be spooked.

I too have tried other types but(IMO) nothing works as good as a tube style peep. If you don't have a quality string on your bow.....Good luck getting the peep to stay aligned. Even if you do have a quality string set, sometimes extreme weather changes cancause a slight misalignment. This is where the tubing is a life saver.

There are a lot of folks who use tubeless type peeps and for most it works and I hope it continues to do so........I'm not taking any chances.

If I had a target bow I would use a tubeless peep no doubt. If for some reason my peep doesn't align, no biggie. The target isn't going tobust me and run away never to be seen again.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post bigj, ive had my tubing to break, like 3-4x. [&:]it always broke from the peep though so it went the other way no biggie.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

G5 meta peep................with W/C string and a string loop,it comes around perfect everytime.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

What if i invent a peep that you can insert different sizes?

©2008 buckmaster inc.
Its been done along time ago it was called 'pick a peep' I think I still have a new one someplace if you want it
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: mobow

I have a meta peep, and the 3/16" is a good mix...
Ditto that.
x3
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a 10 knot to tie my peeps(actually a little different but same principle,It moves up and down when tiedin) so I can move them whenever I want and if the peep doesn'tturn properly,I will jump a strand across from 1 side to the other to get it where it needs to be.Good quality strings will stay once set. If that doesn't work,sometimes you can rotate the string a half turn to get the peep where it needs to be.