Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Master/Dominant Eye Issue >

Master/Dominant Eye Issue

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Master/Dominant Eye Issue

Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Master/Dominant Eye Issue

Okay, so whenI bought my first bow last year I was an ingnorant 15 year old and, after reading a bowhunting book, decided that my master eye must be my right eye because I'm right handed. Well, as a less ignorant 16 year old I have discovered, through multiple ''dominant eye test", that I am indeed left-eye dominant. So my question: Does this mean I should learn to shoot left handed once I purchase my next bow? Is it truly that big of a deal? How much does it affect shooting? Thank you all so much.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Master/Dominant Eye Issue

I would "imagine"....if you're shooting with both eyes open....that it's "less" of an issue.

Funny you should post this, today. I've been practicing drawing my bow with my bow hand.....just to try and build up those muscles a little bit. I "think" I'd have NO problems switching hands....and I KNOW I'd switch if I was left eye dominant.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since you are 16, I would say go ahead and try a left hand bow, this is a great time of the year to do it. My son went through the same dilema (only we couldn't tell which eye was dominant since he was young and couldn't stop giggling during the tests) and it only took a couple of months for him to really get used to it. Below are some before and after photos.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're going to shoot with both eyes open then you'll definately have to shoot left handed. But my brother is left eye dominant but shoots his bow right handed with his left eye closed and is a darn good shot.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you shoot both eyes, switching to left hand will be the way to go. If you just close your left eye, you can shoot right handed with no issues. I know people in both categories.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I'm left eye dominant but shoot right handed. Switching to left-handed shooting wasn't a viable option so I learned to deal with. It'sno big deal really, just keep that left eye shut and you'll be fine.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Spike

I am 51 years old andshot my bowusing my non-dominate eye (right eye)for about 20 years. About7 years ago Ineeded to buy a new bow so I decided to make the switch. I waited until our season ended and then bought everything left-handed - even though I did nothing else left-handed. I worked three days a week all Spring and Summer to be ready for the next season.It wasa move I'll never regret. The biggest reason I switched was as the older I got my dominant eye wanted to take over even if I tried to keep it closed. I would recommend the switch whenever you are committed to doing it.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I believe for each his own on this as long your shots are ethical it will don't matter. Now for me I'm left eye dominant because of a lazy eye, but right handed so I've learned to shoot all but a pistol left handed.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm left eye dominant and shoot lefty. The only thing I can shoot ambidextrous is handgun.

I remember first learing to shoot years ago at a buddy's house, when he showed me his old ancient Bear Whitetail compound bow. He's righty. I'm lefty. I just totally could NOT do it... So, for laughs, I tried shooting his righty bow lefty. Hey it worked, but I was about 6' wide left. To this day, we still don't know where that arrow ended up! [&:]

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I simply close my left eye and shoot right, but I wish I could make the switch. For bow and shotgun both eyes would allow greater night vision and depth perception. I once asked my eye doctor if I could train my right eye to be dominant by wearing an eye patch, she said it would be much easier to become left handed! If switching is an option for you I say do it.

Quick Reply: Master/Dominant Eye Issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.