Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The way the indians did it - Bowhunting >

The way the indians did it - Bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The way the indians did it - Bowhunting

Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The way the indians did it - Bowhunting

I will some what come to the defense of Rob here. I carry two bows in my truck every time i head for the woods, a stick bow and a compound.
Most of the time the day will dictate which bow I choose. For me personally each bow has it's advantages and disadvantages. At known yardages the compound is definately more acurate but there are always the times where a hesitation on guessing which pin to use means a lost shot opportunity.
I will never grab the compound when it comes to shooting grouse or pheasants because its entirely to difficult.

I grew up with a stick bow so as far as harder goes it all depends on the situation for me.

All bickering aside Bobco if you made those arrows they are truely a work of art.

Arthur I would love to some day buy you a cup of coffee or a beer your choice just to pick your brain for a while.

Rogue
Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Hey now! No hard feelings here Rob! It was just a question. I told you earlier in this thread I have the utmost respect for you. The reason I asked is I've done both, I've been put in both situations plenty of times, the part you said with Matt, I agree with you, bare bows come in handy in times like that! Just wondering what your expeirences were with shooting traditional.
No malice towards anyone Schultzy, it's a good discussion with no name calling, no belittling etc...I respect my traditional brothern like anyone I know, I just fail to see where the "hunt" is harder as a compound/traditional discussion when not refering to the best of the best.

Okay, I'm going to bed, the only clearification I need is what I read from AP. I misunderstand that study as written. Sorry, call me thick headed or tired but I don't get that study as it seems to controdict itself.

That being said, I'm headed to bed.

If it makes my traditional brothers feel better, Although I wouldn't hunt any different or harder if I carried traditional gear vs my compound, the hunt in the end would seem more rewarding (somewhat) if a kill was the end result. Again, the shot would have been more difficult but the hunt, the same if distances were not the equation. Seeing that I certainly can shoot farther with my compound than I can traditional gear, that would "seem" as if the hunt was harder because I would have to wait for the deer to come closer to me with traditional equipment than I would using a compound. It "may" appear to have been a harder hunt.

I still enjoy seeing photos with stick and string across a deers chest as much if not slightly more than a compound, slightly because it tells me that, that archer is unique and dedicated to his art, not that he hunted any harder. [8D]
Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's ratios,Rob! Percentages!45% ofthe total number ofcompound hunterstook deer. 15% of the total number oftraditionals took deer. The ratio is 3 times higher for the compounders.The traditionals even recovered a far higher percentage of the deer they hit than the compounders did. The numbers aren't contradictory at all.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Arthur I would love to some day buy you a cup of coffee or a beer your choice just to pick your brain for a while.
As would I, I would sit, ears open and just grin with the knowledge I'm gaining. Thanks AP for all you do.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Hey now! No hard feelings here Rob! It was just a question. I told you earlier in this thread I have the utmost respect for you. The reason I asked is I've done both, I've been put in both situations plenty of times, the part you said with Matt, I agree with you, bare bows come in handy in times like that! Just wondering what your expeirences were with shooting traditional.
No malice towards anyone Schultzy, it's a good discussion with no name calling, no belittling etc...I respect my traditional brothern like anyone I know, I just fail to see where the "hunt" is harder as a compound/traditional discussion when not refering to the best of the best.

Okay, I'm going to bed, the only clearification I need is what I read from AP. I misunderstand that study as written. Sorry, call me thick headed or tired but I don't get that study as it seems to controdict itself.

That being said, I'm headed to bed.

If it makes my traditional brothers feel better, Although I wouldn't hunt any different or harder if I carried traditional gear vs my compound, the hunt in the end would seem more rewarding (somewhat) if a kill was the end result. Again, the shot would have been more difficult but the hunt, the same if distances were not the equation. Seeing that I certainly can shoot farther with my compound than I can traditional gear, that would "seem" as if the hunt was harder because I would have to wait for the deer to come closer to me with traditional equipment than I would using a compound. It "may" appear to have been a harder hunt.

I still enjoy seeing photos with stick and string across a deers chest as much if not slightly more than a compound, slightly because it tells me that, that archer is unique and dedicated to his art, not that he hunted any harder. [8D]
Good post Rob! Have a good night!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Isn't it past your bed time Art? I know its past mine!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, heck. Just when it was getting warmed up and interestin', everyone's bailing out and going to bed.

I guess I'll go gather up my traditional bows and give 'em all a big hug before doing the same. [8D]
Old 01-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Oh, heck. Just when it was getting warmed up and interestin', everyone's bailing out and going to bed.

I guess I'll go gather up my traditional bows and give 'em all a big hug before doing the same. [8D]
Have a good night Art! I'm shot and headed in!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I again ask, if both a new compound user and a new traditional shooter practice the exact same amount of time and have the exact same self proclaimed yardage limitations how can anyone say that one way is a harder hunt than the other?
I have five more pages to go, but thought I'd through in a comment from a question asked on page 12.

I understand what you are saying Rob, but it is very much a "blanket" type of statement to say the hunt is the same. Personally, I don't shoot traditional because one is harder then the other.

But I really think that you would have to look at the each individual hunting scenerio to see ifhunting alone (not shootng)is harder then the other. I can make cases (or scenerios) for either side, or make the scenerio equal for either.

Sorry, but I don't think I can make it through the next five pages.[]
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I get the feeling that some ofthese tradguys think the world owes them a favor because they pretendto besome kind of indian Tontowanna-be throwback woodsman, who has some "higher level" of appreciation for archery, the wilderness, and all that is wild and natural in life. They have howling wolf sculptures in their house, with dreamcatchers hanging from the rear-view mirror. Meanwhile they hunt about as hard as my left ass cheek. Sitting at home and staring at your $1000 longbow, orcheering onFrodo as heshoots Gargoyles on Lord of the Rings with a recurvedoesn't make you the next Tred Barta. Sorry.

There are great hunters out there who hunt with traditional gear. I concede that. Some of them frequent this site. There are also a bunch of people running around in fur hats and leather-fringed coats who think they're god's gift to hunting season just because they're getting skunked witha Howard Hilllongbow in their hand. Big flip. I can go out and get skunked with my recurve too. It's not that hard. Just because you hunt with a longbow or a recurve doesn't make you special. If all it took was a $200 trad bow to turn an average schmuck into the next Fred Bear: Newsflash: We'd all have one. But that's not how it works.

For what it's worth, I'm a compound hunter. But I just bought a recurve to tinker around with in the 2nd season. I bought this bow the day before I hunted with it.Within 15 minutes of shooting it, Iwas inside a pie plate at 12-15 yards almost every time. In 4 hunts, I've had 3 deer within 8 yards on the ground. One was a legal buck, for which I had no tag. I honestlybelieve he would have been dead if Ihad a tag.The other 2 were doe (together) and busted me drawing. I took a running shot at 25 yards and just missed my mark. I also missed a big doe at 33 yards, when she stepped out of the way of my arrow. So I have no doubt that if I put the time in, I'd get one. I might get one this Saturday, now that we're on the subject.

I'll concede that trad hunting is a little harder b/c where I hunt (hardwoods) - you have to "prep" the area by going in and building natural ground blinds appropriate for every wind direction. You also have a definite yardage limitation. It's also fairly easy to get picked off while drawing that huge contraption. The damn bow is gigantic.

Other than thosefew considerations, for the most part - a guy who tags out every year with the compound would likely do the same with traditional gear.If you're hunting with trad gear and eating your tags, it's not because you're necessarily handicapped by "inferior" equipment. It's a plain old lack of skill.

Quick Reply: The way the indians did it - Bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.