Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Archery elk hunting? >

Archery elk hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery elk hunting?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Archery elk hunting?

Would like to try archery elk hunting this year. I have been rifle hunting for mule deer in Wyoming and saw my first wild elk, wow!!! I am think of Idaho due to over the counter tag availability. Does anyone have any first hand experience. I don't know if it's worth getting a guide or justDIY. I'd be happy to see what you guys have to say. I know of friends who have spent a lot of money on guidedhunts and not been happy with the service so I am a little nervous in going that route.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Archery elk hunting?

IF haven't been archery elk hunting you have to give it a shot its a blast, Theres nothing like a big bull screamin in your face at 20 yards, Im from Idaho and theres some great elk huntin up here but elk hunting period is one of the toughest animals to get with a bow. I personally know idaho pretty well so i don't bother with guides, if you just do a lil work pre season scouting and get familiar with the territory you should be fine.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do it yourself! Thats just me though. I've been elk hunting 8 years and still nothing to show for it yet when it comes to getting something. That don't mean it wasn't successful though. I learned so much about them elk hunting them on my own that I guarantee it will pay off one of these next years.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends what your goals are. If this is a one time trip, get an guide. If this is the first step to learning how to get an elk, DIY might be an option, buta guide on the first trip can shorten the learning curve, at least on elk, but doesn't help longer term with land to hunt.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

DIY, but..... if you are going to doit with a bow then get a buddy.

One reason is the safety aspect of being in the mountains with another person.

The other reason is that it is very dificult to call in bulls and then get a shot offby yourself. A caller and a shooter spaced about 60 yards apart is much more effective than a single person acting as caller and shooter.

And if I were going OTC then I would go to Colorado.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

DIY, but..... if you are going to doit with a bow then get a buddy.

One reason is the safety aspect of being in the mountains with another person.

The other reason is that it is very dificult to call in bulls and then get a shot offby yourself. A caller and a shooter spaced about 60 yards apart is much more effective than a single person acting as caller and shooter.

And if I were going OTC then I would go to Colorado.
You are 100% right! I went out to Montana 1 year by myself. Never will I do that again if I can help it!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps this is just me, but whenever I am starting something completely new I usually try to get help, and I hire someone if I have to. Something like elk hunting when you aren't from the west is hard to find someone that 1) has any real knowledge of where & how to hunt them and 2) that you could tolerate for a week in a tent together. If I was going to pick up golf I would take some lessons. If I were to start elk hunting in a vast public area, I would find someone to help me figure out where to start one way or another. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Torridone,

First off…how much time do you have to devote to hunting elk and learning about hunting elk with a bow? If you have several years to do DIY elk hunts then there is nothing like learning as you go, but if this is a one time thing every five or so years then I would recommend that you do your research and find a quality guide service and put time, effort and money it to getting a quality hunt.

Keep in mind that what we do is call HUNTING and not SHOPPING for a reason and that even if you hire a guide that your chances are still smaller than if you were doing a rifle hunt. A quality hunt doesn’t mean getting an animal every time you go hunting but that you get value for you money spent. I always treat my hunts as a vacation and if I manage to get an elk then that is icing on the cake.

You have friends that haven’t been very happy with their hunts and sometimes that happens, but do your homework and find a good guide. Ask your friends just what were they dissatisfied with about their hunt and why it didn’t meet their expectations?

Just a couple of thing to keep in mind…if you have the time DIY…if not get the biggest bang for your buck and hire a good guide!