Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 NEW TO ARCHERY ELK HUNTING >

NEW TO ARCHERY ELK HUNTING

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NEW TO ARCHERY ELK HUNTING

Old 07-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default NEW TO ARCHERY ELK HUNTING

Since I didn't draw a single tag this year I'm thinking about getting an over the counter tag in CO for the archery season. I have done a little research and was thinking about unit 140 in southern CO, particularly in the James John portion. Has anyone ever hunted in this area? What is the terrain like?

What part of archery season do you like to hunt the best? Do you prefer to get into the area before the muzz season begins or wait until it is over and hope to catch more of the rut?

I shoot a 65# bowtech. What arrow and broadhead would you suggest. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:26 PM

Default RE: NEW TO ARCHERY ELK HUNTING

not sure of that area but I shoot gt's and silverflames for elk hope you have a great season
Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Now I know there are more archery hunters on here than one. Come on now I only have about 6 weeks to prepare!! Thanks. Elknut, I forsee placing an order very soon. For those of you who have his dvd's which one(s) would best suit me for early archery season.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

BGHUNTEROO, my buddy andI didn't draw a tag for our honey hole this year so we have to go over the counter also. At this time we are not sure as to where we will be hunting. We are still checking out leads and have our ears to the ground so to speak.

I cannot address your questions referring to unit 140 as I am not familiar with it.

We usually try to go out for the first 10 days or so of the season and also for the last 10 days or so of the season if we still have some tags. We have taken bulls on either end of the season. I would have to say that the most enjoyable time to hunt elk are the last week or two of the season for me personally. The weather is cooler, they are more vocal, and usually more aggressive. Of course a guy is more suseptible to snow storms at that time of year too...

As long as your arrow goes where you want it to your 65# Bowtech will handle all comers. Most bow hunters that chase elk will recommend a cut to tip typefixed head,(G5,Wacum,Magnus stinger, Steelforce, Phantom, etc.) and a totalarrow weight of at least 400 grains. Certainly that is open for debate and not the only thing that can get the job done but without question it works. It is no secret that shot placement is the key and everything else is secondary....

Good luck and be sure and let us know how you come out!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

BG,
I'm not new to archery hunting but new to archery elk hunting.
From what I have read and been told anything generating 55 ft/lb of KE is enough for elk,granted you do your part.From what I have seen that must be corect,I have seen on T.V. and on video's of ladies using 45-50 lb bows killing elk,moose,bear and bou(not calling a lady or anything).So to me you set up should work good.
I on the other hand have the more the better mentality,kinda like magnumitis and I apply that to my archery gear as well,last year my Mathews was only pushing 70 something in the K/e department.This year I bought a 80 lb bow now I have like 94 ft/lbs of K/E.
But like I said any bow pushing a arrow around 55 ft/ke with a good COC BH should do the trick.
My Brother in law shot a 5x5 bull last year with a GT UL 400 weighing like 320 gr tipped with a 85 magnus stinger,broadside 25 yds.It sailed through him and went another 15 yds the other side.So I'm shure you are fine,just get them in the boiler room.
BBJ
Old 07-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Spike

I know nothing of the area that you are interested in and only two seasons under my belt but here is my 2 cents.

Your bow is plenty to get the job done. Like was said above, shot placement is the key. The group that I hunt with use Muzzys with the exception of myself. I prefer the Rocky Mountain Snyper and itperformed as well on my Elk as it has on numerous Whitetails.

As for the season, I've only hunted the first 10 days. I like the fact that for the first few days they seem to be less on edge and don't bolt at the first sound. Of course, they are not that vocal yet. The first trip, I heard one cow call and nothing else. Last year, the bulls where screaming for the first three or four days and it was awsome.

Hope this helps
Old 07-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Vol-4 would be the best bet if only one was to be picked. However, Vol-1 - 2 & 4 would be best for the best overall view of all elk sounds & their meanings.

ElkNut1
Old 07-14-2006, 12:15 AM

I usually like to keep my arrow weight up around 450 grains or more
for elk. I have never hunted that unit so I can't help there. We are
in the same boat as you, did not draw this year. We are looking at OTC
units as well. Your bow at 65lbs. should work fine. My set up is a
Mathews at 65lbs. 2315 arrows with a Wasp 100 gr. 3 blade broadhead.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ask your question in the Bowhunting section and you will get tons of equipment advice. Your bow is fine, you now need to get it tuned right and properly setup.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:14 PM

As with any kind of bow hunting shot placement and a good sharp broadhead are what counts. For game Like Elk I like a good cut on contact like the 125gr Steelforce Broadhead. They can be tricky to tune, but once tuned they get the job done well. As to the arrow, you'll get as many answers as there are hunters, broadheads as well for that matter. I like Carbon Express Terminator Hunters, and they fit my budget. Can't help you on the area the only two places I've hunted Elk were Washington State and Utah. All in all the best advice I can give you is use what you are most confortable with. Good luck to you on your hunt.