Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This is why its called hunting and not getting! >

This is why its called hunting and not getting!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is why its called hunting and not getting!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: This is why its called hunting and not getting!

Some good posts, and good point Greg...relaxed for a deer is hyper paranoid for us. LOL

Just like TeeJay pointed out in rifles, another example could be said that there are recurve/longbow bowhunters who have no business shooting more than 15 yards. That's just the way it is.

And Rybo makes a great point too,
there are a TON of clueless people in this world. Whether they hunt, kayak, or crochet,
Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

It would be interesting to see a poll with percentages of misses in shots under 20 yards, 20 to35 yards, and over35 yards. I'd be willing to bet therewould be a fairlyhigh percentage (not number) of missed shots at close range compared to mid range.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

I sure hope he wasnt hunting out great state on the 3 of Jan.
No he wasn't, it was out of state!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good points everyone! I enjoyed all your feed back and opinions. Thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Is there such a thing as a relaxed deer?

I once heard a Whitetail Deer described as " A bundle of nerves ready to explode
Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

It would be interesting to see a poll with percentages of misses in shots under 20 yards, 20 to35 yards, and over35 yards. I'd be willing to bet therewould be a fairlyhigh percentage (not number) of missed shots at close range compared to mid range.
Actually there was a thread a week or so ago on everyones batting average. There was some misses at close range also but the majority of the misses were 30+ yard shots.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your friend is a good shot and a good hunter he will know what he can do and doesn't need to listen to anyone telling him how far he can shoot (like a salesperson). A faster bow can in some instances lessen the error in the distance judged but it is not going to help a poor shot. I hold good groups at 40 yards but have yet to take a shot over 30 yards and always prefer 20 or even less, the arrow hits the target so much faster with a lot more penetration. On the same token things happen at 20 yards and deer are lost occasionally.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Longest shot I have ever taken with my bow is 34 yards...I practiced and felt comfortable up to 35 yards with my bow at that time....put the buck down within 50 yards....today I do not feel comfortable shooting much over 30 yards while in the woods because I do not practice at that extended range anymore---I practice up to 30 yards and so far the last 5 deer I have shot the last two years have only averaged 15 yards from my stand. So lucky me.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

A couple of things:

1) A .25 sec makes a difference for about 25 yards or less. Based on a deers reaction time ( a relaxed deer),I can shoot a deer out to 21 yards before it can duck my shot. I did these calculations one day while sitting in my stand. My bow shoots 275 fps. Bottom line.... the deer needs to be relaxed.

2) It's not the 40 yard shot it's the hunter. There are many people who are competent to take 40 yard shots. There are many who are not. I believe that Rob/PA/Bowyer took a doe at 41 yards this year. Atthis range it is not the speed that matters but the accuracy does. No matter what you shoot, if you're not accurate 100% of the time at 40 yards, you should not take the shot. This includes things that hinder accuracy such as bulky cold weather clothes if your not practiced up while wearing them.
Good point on the clothes thing!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't know......

If you take this hard line....you dismiss almost EVERYONE who hunts, out West.

So schultzy.....if this statement (you said it) is true.....

This friend of mine is huge into compounds, he's excellent on picking his spots on deer and is very good when target practicing at 40 yards at home
What would one have to do to be "worthy" of attmepting this shot (in your eyes)? Is every shot at a game animal over 40 yds "unethical"?
Not all the time GMMAT are shots taken at 40 yards unethical! Is it a high percentage shot though? We all know that answer! As for hunting out west, not everyone who hunts out west relys on the 40 yard shot. You asked in my opinion is it ethical, come on GMMAT, I think your trying to start an argument on this one!

Quick Reply: This is why its called hunting and not getting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.