Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Baiting Vs. Food Plots" >

"Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
baiting is wrong and so are food plots
3.23%
food plots are ok but baiting is wrong
30.65%
i think they should both be legal
66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

"Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I hunt over my food plot to kill something, Seems like the same as setting up over a baitpile, deer come, eat and hopefully get killed! What's the difference???
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Food plots do more then get deer shot off of them though. Excellent nutrition, alot of other omniverous critters eat off of them as well, specialy in the winter, You know that, you live in the northern states!
I agree Schultzy, they do offer food for all kinds of critters! Thats why I put them in all year long!!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

A HUNTING food plot is planted to HUNT over and bring in deer. Same as bait.
-So in that, they are the same.
True, they bring game, bait piles to exact yardages, food plots could have deer standing out at 100 yards. In that they are not the same.

That's the only point I'm making. Deer are not necessarily in range when visiting food plots.

I'm not arguing against baiting, I won't even vote because there is no correct answer for me to pick.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

I agree with Rob completely. Comparing a food plot (or agricultural field) to a pile of bait CAN'T be done. Not even close. Yes, they both are something for the deer to eat, but that is about as close as it gets. There is also a difference between putting something out to feed deer, and setting up over it to kill a deer. I don't care if you bait - if its legal and it floats your boat...go for it. Personally I'd quit hunting before I'd hunt over a pile of corn or apples. Poll is too vague, and argument too big.

I hunt over my food plot to kill something, Seems like the same as setting up over a baitpile, deer come, eat and hopefully get killed! What's the difference???
BHF...seriously? There is no comparison. Yes, you can hunt over a food plot and kill deer....no doubt. BUT...the big difference is you have to get them within range. A bait pile automatically puts them within range.

Thats one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while. So, you mean to tell me all I have to do is put out some magical golden nuggest and every deer in the woods will automatically appear in bow range? LoL..thats awesome!!!![:'(]
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

True, they bring game, bait piles to exact yardages, food plots could have deer standing out at 100 yards. In that they are not the same.

That's the only point I'm making. Deer are not necessarily in range when visiting food plots.

I'm not arguing against baiting, I won't even vote because there is no correct answer for me to pick.
This can be true. It can also be untrue.

Just b/c someone puts bait close to a stand doesn't mean that a deer will magically appear. doesn't the deer still have its sences?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Illinois for example doesn't allow baiting or feeders due to making it easier to spread CWD and EHD. One big minus for baiting.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

This can be true. It can also be untrue.

Just b/c someone puts bait close to a stand doesn't mean that a deer will magically appear. doesn't the deer still have its sences?
That's not the question, the question is, if they come to it....

The deer has it's senses if they come to a food plot too.

And let's put a bag of Acorn Rage or Come 'ere Deer in the same catagory of a food plot...I think NOT.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

I agree with Rob completely. Comparing a food plot (or agricultural field) to a pile of bait CAN'T be done. Not even close. Yes, they both are something for the deer to eat, but that is about as close as it gets. There is also a difference between putting something out to feed deer, and setting up over it to kill a deer. I don't care if you bait - if its legal and it floats your boat...go for it. Personally I'd quit hunting before I'd hunt over a pile of corn or apples. Poll is too vague, and argument too big.

BHF...seriously? There is no comparison. Yes, you can hunt over a food plot and kill deer....no doubt. BUT...the big difference is you have to get them within range. A bait pile automatically puts them within range.

Thats one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while. So, you mean to tell me all I have to do is put out some magical golden nuggest and every deer in the woods will automatically appear in bow range? LoL..thats awesome!!!![:'(]
Whats so funny about it...its true. If you set the pile 10-15yds away...and they come, are they NOT in range? I know plenty of guys that hunt over bait....its like shooting ducks in a barrel most times. The does and fawns come like someone is ringing a dinner bell. Big bucks...yes, not so often.

And I will say...yes, sometimes they don't come...that is not my point. My point is...IF they come, they are in range. On an ag field, as Rob stated....they could be 100yds away or more.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are guys who knock down trees and put rockpiles around the edges of the plot to make the deer enter/exit thru a certain area/trail, thus put there stands in this area, there are certain shapes to make food plots, hourglass long and narrow etc... We could go on and on and on.......... I didn't vote either!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:11 PM

I think hunting near any food source which is why I hunt in the middle of a desert... come to think of it I haven't seen a deer in a couple years... hmm wonder where they went!?!?!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are guys who knock down trees and put rockpiles around the edges of the plot to make the deer enter/exit thru a certain area/trail, thus put there stands in this area, there are certain shapes to make food plots, hourglass long and narrow etc... We could go on and on and on.......... I didn't vote either!
True dat, who has that Beating a Dead Horse smily? [8D]

Quick Reply: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.