Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Baiting Vs. Food Plots" >

"Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
baiting is wrong and so are food plots
3.23%
food plots are ok but baiting is wrong
30.65%
i think they should both be legal
66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

"Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Excellent post Cloudster!!!!!!!! Respect!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rob completely. Comparing a food plot (or agricultural field) to a pile of bait CAN'T be done. Not even close. Yes, they both are something for the deer to eat, but that is about as close as it gets. There is also a difference between putting something out to feed deer, and setting up over it to kill a deer. I don't care if you bait - if its legal and it floats your boat...go for it. Personally I'd quit hunting before I'd hunt over a pile of corn or apples. Poll is too vague, and argument too big.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the feeling circumference was deleted from some of our membersschooling?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

I agree with Rob completely. Comparing a food plot (or agricultural field) to a pile of bait CAN'T be done. Not even close. Yes, they both are something for the deer to eat, but that is about as close as it gets. There is also a difference between putting something out to feed deer, and setting up over it to kill a deer. I don't care if you bait - if its legal and it floats your boat...go for it. Personally I'd quit hunting before I'd hunt over a pile of corn or apples. Poll is too vague, and argument too big.

I hunt over my food plot to kill something, Seems like the same as setting up over a baitpile, deer come, eat and hopefully get killed! What's the difference???
Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Excellent post Cloudster!!!!!!!! Respect!
Far from it.

The difference between a Food plot and a Corn field, Alphalpha field, Soybean field, and an Apple Orchard is. One is put there to attract deer (Food Plots....weather it is clover, soybeans corn fields etc.), or bait them to a specific area, the others arethere for agricultural purposes/reasons (Mainly feeding people or live stock).
So explain the difference in placing a stand over either saying that they are both 50 acres in size compared to a 55 gallon pile of corn 10 yards from a stand?

Do I categorize putting a pile of corn out the same as the fore mentioned fields? Most defiantly not, nor did I ever try to. I was only pointing out your misguided logic in the statement made in your first reply....the fact that if the plot is bigger then a pile of corn it is better, that is just plain silly.
How is it misguided or even silly if you yourself wouldn't catagorize them the same. I never said that " if the plot is bigger than a pile of corn, it is better". That doesn't even make sense.

I said:

A food plot could be 50 acres or it could be a 1/4 acre. You cannot put these into the same catagorie as a pile of corn 10 yards from a stand. A deer could visit the food plot and never offer an inrange bow shot.
He said:

So if I spread my "bait pile" or corn over 1/4 acer I should be good. I think that hunting over a pile of corn may give you a little bit of an advantage over the food plot but......they are both as good at "drawing" deer to your stand....if you sit over your food plot you will get the job done just the same as sitting over a pile of corn, it just might take you a day or two longer.
Again, I said:

A food plot could be 50 acres......A deer could visit the food plot and never offer an inrange bow shot.
I believe that there is little difference in baiting deer with a clover field vs. a corn pile, they both have the same effect.....drawing deer near the hunter.
But you do if it's planted for agricultural reasons?

And BHF,

that made it an excellent post?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt over my food plot to kill something, Seems like the same as setting up over a baitpile, deer come, eat and hopefully get killed! What's the difference???
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Food plots do more then get deer shot off of them though. Excellent nutrition, alot of other omniverous critters eat off of them as well, specialy in the winter, You know that, you live in the northern states!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Food plots do more then get deer shot off of them though. Excellent nutrition, alot of other omniverous critters eat off of them as well, specialy in the winter, You know that, you live in the northern states!
I agree Schultzy, they do offer food for all kinds of critters! Thats why I put them in all year long!!!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

BHF...seriously? There is no comparison. Yes, you can hunt over a food plot and kill deer....no doubt. BUT...the big difference is you have to get them within range. A bait pile automatically puts them within range.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

This subject has been beat in the dirt some many times. For every "Pro" there's a "con".

Here are some of my thoughts.

A HUNTING food plot is planted to HUNT over and bring in deer. Same as bait.
-So in that, they are the same.

Corn isn't very nutrional. Hardly any protien. Food plots may offer better nutrition.
-Food plots win this one.

Food plots feed more than deer. So does corn. I've even seen foxes eat corn.
-So in that, they are the same.

As one of our members incorrectly stated, food plots are more expensive.
-This is not true. corn is $5+ a bag and deer may eat a bag in two days. Do that math with a season like ours which runs from Aug-Jan.

Food plots are there all year around. Again, wrong. NOT all food plots are there all year. Some people put out feed all year in feeders and such.
-Either can be all year.

I could go on and on..

but do you get my point?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

And of course larger font gets your point across better than just yellin.....................Kinda like thecap loc does.

Quick Reply: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.