HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   "Baiting Vs. Food Plots" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/224917-baiting-vs-food-plots.html)

childers 12-30-2007 05:09 PM

"Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

ok so here in georgia you cannot hunt within 200 yards of bait. but you can hunt over a food plot that you create and put there. to me this just doesn't make sense. i have been wondering what yall think about this for some time now.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-30-2007 05:14 PM

RE: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Food plots are far different than bait piles as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to get into the legalities or ethics of it tho but look at it this way.

A food plot could be 50 acres or it could be a 1/4 acre. You cannot put these into the same catagorie as a pile of corn 10 yards from a stand. A deer could visit the food plot and never offer an inrange bow shot.

That being said, in PA it's legal to plant and hunt over food plots, it is not legal to bait. Why is a food plot different from a farmers corn or alphalpha field?

Why is a pile of apples different than hunting a 50 acre apple orchard.

Your poll is too vague.

indianahunter83 12-30-2007 05:18 PM

Beat me to it Rob. To each their own is all that matters as long as they abide by their local laws.

childers 12-30-2007 05:20 PM

its just to me the idea of inserting a food plot in the woods seems the same as baiting. but hey we will all have our disagreements and agreements and thats why its called america lol

Cloudster 12-30-2007 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Food plots are far different than bait piles as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to get into the legalities or ethics of it tho but look at it this way.

A food plot could be 50 acres or it could be a 1/4 acre. You cannot put these into the same catagorie as a pile of corn 10 yards from a stand. A deer could visit the food plot and never offer an inrange bow shot.

That being said, in PA it's legal to plant and hunt over food plots, it is not legal to bait. Why is a food plot different from a farmers corn or alphalpha field?

Your poll is too vague.
So if I spread my "bait pile" or corn over 1/4 acer I should be good. I think that hunting over a pile of corn may give you a little bit of an advantage over the food plot but......they are both as good at "drawing" deer to your stand....if you sit over your food plot you will get the job done just the same as sitting over a pile of corn, it just might take you a day or two longer.;)

C

childers 12-30-2007 05:28 PM

not if you are gun hunters like the majoritey of hunters. thats why i view them the same. not everyone bowhunts like us. some of these people can and will shoot 300+ yards. i saw a guy shoot a deer at 400 yards i think he said it was on t.v.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-30-2007 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Cloudster

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Your poll is too vague.
So if I spread my "bait pile" or corn over 1/4 acer I should be good. I think that hunting over a pile of corn may give you a little bit of an advantage over the food plot but......they are both as good at "drawing" deer to your stand....if you sit over your food plot you will get the job done just the same as sitting over a pile of corn, it just might take you a day or two longer.;)

C
Is that what is done for bowhunting?

Answer the rest of my questions as well, not just one that you want to make a point with. What is different between a food plot and a corn field? What is different between a food plot and an alphalpha field or soybean field or an apple orchard or a acorn flat etc....Do you catagorized putting a pile of corn out the same as all the forementioned fields?

bawanajim 12-30-2007 05:51 PM

A food plot is there the whole year not the week you are hunting it.

And if you failed math then I guess the circumference of a two acre corn field would baffle those of you don't that know the circumference of five gallons of corn.

StrutNtom 12-30-2007 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

And if you failed math then I guess the circumference of a two acre corn field would baffle those of you don't that know the circumference of five gallons of corn.
Some plots aren't there the whole year. They are seasonal plots.

bawanajim 12-30-2007 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Some plots aren't there the whole year. They are seasonal plots.
Market that two week corn ,and then you won't have to spend time here showing your .......................[:o]