Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This is it (last hunt update) >

This is it (last hunt update)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is it (last hunt update)

Old 12-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default This is it (last hunt update)

Yup, the time has come. This afternoon will be my final regular season sit. Going to go to my favorite spot(where I've been matching wits from time to time with a 130+ genius) and try and thin a doe out of it. If not I'll just sit there and enjoy those all too familiar woods one last time. Sad but needed end to a long season. Lots of work put off, wife definitely tired of my selfishness, and rightfully so with a 2 month old at home. Would be great to end the season with a harvest but if not it was still a great year.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: This is it

good luck to ya!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get er done! Best of luck to ya!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

get one
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

All I have to say is what a great afternoon. 48deg. partly sunny, light wind. Got into my stand about 2pm. Not 20 minutes later I see 2 doe coming in at about 80 yds. I then see more deer movement up the hill from where they came. The movement up the hill turns out to be a herd of about 10-15 deer which were spooked by about 10 turkeys. It looked like someone opened up the gate at the zoo. The 2 doe feed within about 50 yds. and then the wind shifted and one winded me and they ran off. Damn, thought it was going to happen, oh well. About 3, 6 of the deer that were chased by the turkeys come out of nowhere from arouind a knoll and head right for me, pinning me down. Eyes everywhere, cant move, all deer within 20yds of my tree. WTF. 3 of the 6 are mature does, very smart, and they know I hunt there. All on red alert. The lead doe, after checking every tree in the area finally sees me but doesn't fully spook, just starts to walk out, stopping and checking me all the way. All follow except for 2. I now have to get my bow to the other side of the tree to have a shot. I finally get in position and just as I'm drawing on the remaining older doe, the lead doe sees me and decides to stomp. My intended target now gets worried and walks out to what I judge to be about 28yds. I settle the 30 on her, squezze the trigger and shoot right over her back. Everything clears out. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Between her dropping(I think) and the actual yardage being just 25, I was foiled again. I have a whole other post coming about that. Just before dark I had 2 does start to make their way in but took another route that led them away with no shots. I also got to see 20-30 turkeys roost right at sundown, most I'd ever seen before. All in all a good hunt except for my incompetency.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

Good way to end your season. You had a lot of action, good weather and a shot. All but one thing went according to the plan. Not bad.