Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you turn him in? >

Would you turn him in?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
41.71%
No
58.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Would you turn him in?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 AM

Default RE: Would you turn him in?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

but with a friend you shouldn't need to contact the authorities to make a difference
Not disagreeing with you....just asking.

Does the degree of the offense have any bearing on whether you hold this line or not?

Are there some offenses that simply "can't" be overlooked?
yes... serious violations such as rape, murder, theft, etc. certainly come to mind... poaching a few deer doesn't imho... i'd say that ~my~ criteria would basically stipulate any egregious violations against other people... victimless crimes? not so much...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 AM

7mag

I was aiming my reply at Jeff's latest question, not the original one. But to answer the question... In my youth, perhaps I had "friends" that would have fallen into that category, but I have not been in that situation for many years now. Why? Some of them I have distanced myself from, some have distanced themselves from me because they know I don't approve of illegal actions. Does a man have to "call the law" to make a difference? Sometimes he does. Sometimes he might can change it by other means. But the bottom line to me is, unless you want to live in a degenerating society, you must do something to affect positive change. Natural progression is degeneration, for things to change for the positive it requires input. No input = degeneration. This is as true for society as it is for any process.

SevenBUCKS over the limit is to me a blatant disregard for the game laws that are designed to protect something which I hold dear. I doubt a little talk would affect this man at all. If I knew him I might feel different, but I don't, so that is my best answer. I would do it anonomously, and not think twice about it. A different situation might call for another action, but I just call it the way I see it and make no apologies for it.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

yes... serious violations such as rape, murder, theft, etc. certainly come to mind... poaching a few deer doesn't imho... i'd say that ~my~ criteria would basically stipulate any egregious violations against other people... victimless crimes? not so much...
sevenmag:

You knew I'd ask. Do you think taking seven bucks over the legal limit is a "victimless crime"? No wrong answer. It's your opinion.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM

I was waiting for that Jeff. Personally I have trouble with the term "victimless crime".
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

sevenmag:

You knew I'd ask. Do you think taking seven bucks over the legal limit is a "victimless crime"? No wrong answer. It's your opinion.
of course I knew that was coming... yes, i think it is, however, doen't mean I condone what he's doin... if I considered him a friend I'd talk to him first, if he didn't change his ways our friendship would be in jeopardy, continued abuse (especially if he's braggin about it) would probably end the friendship and eventually the law would get called... but then again, by that point, i wouldn't consider him a friend, and that would be the deciding factor for me... not whether or not he's breakin the law, but whether or not he's a friend... i'm sure many have heard the phrase "Bro's before Ho's", same sentiment applies here...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Poaching is NOT a victimless crime. ALL of us as hunters pay for it, in public sentiment if nothing else. I stand by my first response. I'd talk to that friend and find out why he did it and make him promise not to do it again. If he kept on doing it, I'd turn him in with no remorse and break all ties with him.

And to answer someone's question from back there a few pages, I've turned in 'friends' twicebefore.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Critr-Gitr

I was waiting for that Jeff. Personally I have trouble with the term "victimless crime".
like speeding or a parking meter violation??
Old 12-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speeding is a victimless crime until someone gets killed or hurt. That's why it's illegal.

A parking meter violation?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Speeding is a victimless crime until someone gets killed or hurt. That's why it's illegal.
so, allow me to take that to a logical, yet ridiculous, extension of that statement... because people get killed when they aren't speeding should all vehicle movement be restricted???

but also, when someone gets killed when someone else is speeding it is no longer a victimless crime, but then again, some people view speeding as nothing more than a revenue generator for the PD's to justify their existence...

A parking meter violation?
hey, its illegal no? victimless crime?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

SevenMag, such a spin doctor as yourself would have been a top aide in the Clinton administration.[8D]

Quick Reply: Would you turn him in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.