Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS! >

***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Well enough wining from me,
After re reading, I made a few changes to my post. Not sure what Pro Staffers have to do with the hunting industry in general, they are the TOs or Micheal Jordans of the indusrtry. You either love em or hate em. Doesnt mean you have to hate hunting becasue some Pro Staffer rubbed you the wrong way. Im not sure being a Pro Staffer is all your thinking its cracked up to be in most cases.
I agree, I chose to watch them to maybe learn something new. Knowledge is power. Yeah I wish sometimes I had their lifestyle but I don't get upset over it or jealous. I hate to say nothing is going to be the way it was, never will be again.We all have to live and adapt with changeIMO.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

I think one reason that many may begrudge "pro staffers" is the representation of themselves (in many cases) asbeing a better hunter and therefore an "authority" on hunting.

Thereare few who could argue that Tiger Woods is not the best golfer in the world or that Michael Jordan is not the best basketball player and that their own competitive accomplishments have rightly given them a certain authority to speak on subjects related to their sport.

However, although hunting is an individual sport, many have come to place the "size of the deer (or animal)killed" in direct relation to a hunters ability. This is not always accurate when it comes down to it...especially regarding these "pro-staffers". I'm not saying that there is not some correlationbetween hunting abilityand animal size, but"ability" is not always the main ingredient and becomes incrementally smaller, imo,as more andmoreof the "pre-hunt work" is performed by someone other than the person pulling the trigger, which is often the case with these "recognizeable figures" in the hunting industry.

You can be on TV, etc.because you are a great marketer or businessman although you may or may not be able to "hunt"or "fish" a lick. Still, there are some legitimate experts out there...just probably not as many as some would think.

Thank you, you could not have said it better... That was the point I was trying to make.. I have read numerous books on hunting and there are a few Pro Staff people I believe they are incredible hunters.. Those people have many many years of hunting.. They have hunted big woods bucks, public land, and put numerous miles on their vehicle just to scout farms.. I am not afraid to post their names because I think alot of them and thier accomplishments.. Greg Miller, Charles Alshiemer, The Benoit Family from Maine. These guys have intrigued and inspired me while reading their books. So I am not against everyone in the industry... Maybe I should have presented my thread differently... I hunt because I truely love hunting, and I enjoy hunting mature whitetails, but any deer taken is a trophy to me because of the story behind itand because of the wonderful experience spent in the outdoors and with friends and family.. Thats what it is about for me... Tradition, is big with me too. I just feel that even though the sport of deer hunting is bigger than ever, the back bone and values are gone from it... All the gimmicks on the market seem they are geared toward helping make someone become a good hunter over night without paying thier dues.. I have always beena firm believer in Crawling before you walk in life.. And if you are going to do something, do it the best you can with true passion, do it for the right reasons, and be ethical.. Seems that even generations today have those same veiws of skipping over the working to get where you want and starting at the top.. To me, life doesn't work that way...

Old 12-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

You must like the threadand agree with itbecause you are still reading it........ Maybe you like pain since the truth hurts...

You must be a "Pro Staff " guy getting started....
Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

I can't believe this rediculous thread is still going!

What does team hammer dog mean??? Do you like to kill pet dogs or something??

Or do you and your friends double team dogs??
Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: NYBigbucks

I am not afraid to post their names because I think alot of them and thier accomplishments....

The Benoit Family from Maine.

I hope that was a joke.....
Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM

As for the pros, yeah, I've met a few @ the deer/turkey expo. They were always willing to talk as long as u wanted to buy a video/book. As for the hunting gear, you have to admit that with some of the things out there, you can get a little closer to the deer, your bow may shoot a little quieter, hence the deer not jumping the string. Like everything else in life, all those things have there place. With the videos, a bunch of us often watch them for entertainment value. I'd love to see on of those prostaffers come & hunt on the public land I hunt w/no guides, no food plots, & lots of other hunters to compete with. If they could shoot one of those 30pt monsters, there, then I'd be impressed. You have a much higher success rate on private land than on public. As for the trophy oportunities, I'm not saying that you won't shoot a big buck, but they are rare. Will I stop buying the gimmicks, heck no, ther'e fun to play around with. Yes the industry has driven up the price of hunting. Guided hunts are out of my reach all together. As for land purchases, forget it. I was just hunting a small parcel of land. 40acres. 10woods, 30 tillable w/a house & garage. Nothing fancy, farmhouse. Asking price $1.5mill. It sold last week. The average acre runs for about 25-35k. So I'll just get my popcorn, sit back & be entertained here.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: in da woods

40acres. 10woods, 30 tillable w/a house & garage. Nothing fancy, farmhouse. Asking price $1.5mill. It sold last week. The average acre runs for about 25-35k.
I WI??? I think your firgures are a lit......make that a lot off.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 PM

Who ate all the popcorn?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Talondale and Cougar Mag...great post from you guys on the subject.

Cougar really nailed it though. If you want to really take the shine off something you love, just try doing it for a living. For example, ask the guy at the local bait shop if he's been fishing lately. Lol, usually those guys don't have much time. And I'll bet they get pretty tire of hearing the fishing stories too.

Hunting wouldn't be all that different. If you had to travel all that much, and be a rep with a smile week in and week out, talking at various seminars and venues, you might get awfully sick of talking about hunting. Heck I can only read so much about "which broadhead is best" and similar topics and I don't hunt or represent a hunting product for a living. I bet Justin gets tired of talking about hunting at times too, but I could be wrong.

But, I think the author does make some valid points too. I think everyone wishes things were as simple as they were decades ago when our fathers and grandfathers could simply visit the neighbors and go hunting.

Things change. The internet has changed so many things and hunting is one of them. Most of the change has been good in my opinion.

I'm just grateful for what I've had from hunting so far.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

I here ya.. You are right there are alot of things out that do help get an edge.. I guess what bothers me the most is that alot of hunters put these people on pedestals and get impressed with all their hype.. I agree with you, put them on public land and see how they do... Like I said, some of the best hunters I know have never killed a p&y buck, but their skills are incredible.. Also with these pro staff people, take away most of their time and give them 3 weeks vacation and and a few weekends to do all their hunting and scouting... See how successful they would be on a piece of public land.. There are alot of truely great hunters out there with passion for the sport..

Quick Reply: ***ATTENTION All Hunters NEED TO READ THIS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.