Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Process your own deer.... >

Process your own deer....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Process your own deer....

Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Process your own deer....

If you want to be considered a real hunter. If you take it to get processed then you're taking the easy way out and not completing the hunt. Hunters that process their own deer are obviously a notch above the rest. Now if you bowhunt and process you're own? Whoaaaaaaaa MAN you are just short of walking on water. How many of you process your own deer?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:42 AM

Default RE: Process your own deer....

I always process my own deer,I'm not going to pay someone for something I can do. I enjoy doing it myself, nothing goes to waste, backstraps go in a seperate bag and the rest is used for burgers and jerky.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive done all mine so far. Im not a fan of handing my deer to someone else so they can mix it up with other peoples meat. To put it bluntly, I dont trust them to do a good job.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

we have always processed our own deer, as a matter of fact I have a mess of roasts im going to be smoking next monday ill post pics of the process.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do my own. Been so for the last 10+ years. It can be time consuming doing a deer all by ones self, but I’ve gotten quicker over the years. I’m too cheap to pay the $60. All totaled, and depending on the size of the deer and what cuts I make, it takes me anywhere from 3-6 hours per deer to skin, quarter, cut/trim/grind, vacuum seal and all cleanup involved.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have processed my own bow shot deer! You may bow down to me now.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Spike

It's the only way to go. It does take a little practice at first, buy once you get the hang of things, it's really quite simple. It is time consuming but then again its worth it and you know what you are eating. Lucky for me, I worked for a meat cutter when I was growing up.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I process my own for a few reasons.

1. No sense in paying when I can do it myself.
2. I make sure it is cleaned properly.....the way I like it.
3. Have you seen the processing places when they are busy? [:'(]
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

im not gunna lie...11 deer by me and another pile of dads since i started hunting and not one had been done by us.

dad used to do it all himself...but got out of it...he likes his specialty meats like kilbasa, sausage, bologna etc...i aint complaining...11 deer and i havent had to pay the bill

i CAN however do it myself...butchering time out my buddies farm i am always there helping...

when i move out, and dad is no longer footing the bill, i will do it myself...
Old 12-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

How long does it take you guys to process one deer, minus any “aging” time? Skin/quarter/cut/trim/grind/wrap? And clean up.

Quick Reply: Process your own deer....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.