Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners? >

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I hope it pours on the opening day of gun season. Tag soup 4 everyone
8.59%
I only root for my buddies to do well. I hope the rest get skunked.
14.11%
I hope they all enjoy a successful season and tag out.
55.21%
If they cancelled gun season tomorrow, I'd do cartwheels!
18.40%
Less deer for everyone else = more deer for me.
3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

I have come late to this and I am not going to read through every post.I have read enough though.I am in favor of all legal methods and wish anyone well who goes about it ethically.
If I don't own the land there is nothing I can do about access,the land owner can give permission to whomever they want,if it is public land there is nothing I can do about it,another has as much right to be there as I do.
Do I hope certain area's don't get hunted,yes,do I hope bucks make it through, yes.
I love to gun hunt as much as I love to bow hunt.A good hunter is a good hunter,I don't care what their weapon of choice is.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

As long as they shoot and take dumps on their own property.....I don't care what they do.
Same here. I do both but here in missouri there are people that come downfor rifle season and are not ethical at all. There are some people about 5 miles away from me that have about 300 goats and they have 3-5 Sheep dogs in there with them and the people that were hunting next to them could see the dogs and one guy was bragging about this at the local cafe, He said that he had his cross hairs on the dogs head and he almost shot it but he said that he juts moved his cross hairs down and shot under him. Now im not saying all gunners are like that but there are always dumb ones that are.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever you wish on others, I hope it's visited back on you tenfold.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

NY Bowhunter:

I really don't care what someone else shoots as long as done legally and ethically like I said before. However I'm not going to put ads in the paper, give out permission to hunt my land, let them sit in my favorite stands or bend over backwards to help the them out.
That doesn't make sense to me. You're saying that I'm a bad guy for hoping that the competition in my areas eats their tags... But in the next breath, you're saying that you'll never give out permission to hunt your land or "bend over backwards to help them out."

To me, that's saying one thing,but doing another.

I mean, I'm supposedly some kind of villain, but you're doing the same thing that I do. Maybe I'm just not shy about admitting that it is what it is.

Actions > words.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel like this could be debated forever, and most are just arguing for the sake of having an argument (or discussion if that suits you better). I think Quick has a point in terms of pegging the attitude of what I feel most hunters have. Although I, along with others, wish everyone who hunts legally success, we also like to see ourselves succeed as well. However, I've seen several members on here place other hunters in their prime stands BEFORE they had tagged out for the season, because they obviously wanted to see their friend have the best chance possible to harvest a good deer. But then again, those are FRIENDS, not strangers, which I believe Quick is making the point of. Would those same hunters on this board be so open and generous as to let someone hunt in their "area" and wish them the same success as they did for their friends? Good point...
Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

For the love of GOD I give up.

I support hunters period[:@]
I just opened this thread and really don't have to read any further. Why on earth would a hunter not support another hunter regardless of weapon? I agree with Germ completely.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

"I hope it pours on the opening day of gun season. Tag soup 4 everyone"

I read the poll and had to laugh. This year opening day It poured here in Ohio. I got soaked. I was out with my shotgunand was about to leave and gotmy biggest deer so far. So the first answer above cracked me up.

As for me I hope everyone does well. I'd rather they be safe and ethical (or what I think is ethical) but other than that I have very little problems with gun season. I love to bowhunt and like pre-gun season alotbut also like post gun season too. I'm not a hardcore bowhunter only. I have been know to bowhunt during guns season however.

Anyway good luck to all my fellow hunters (bow and gun)

Old 12-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

I've seen several members on here place other hunters in their prime stands BEFORE they had tagged out for the season, because they obviously wanted to see their friend have the best chance possible to harvest a good deer. But then again, those are FRIENDS, not strangers, which I believe Quick is making the point of. Would those same hunters on this board be so open and generous as to let someone hunt in their "area" and wish them the same success as they did for their friends? Good point...
Now you're smellin' what's cooking.

Take a trespasser for example. Lots of guys on here will blow a gasket if they catch a trespasser hunting on their land. Newsflash: If you really wanted your fellow hunters to get a deer, you'd leave the guy alone and hope that he gets one. Maybe even go out and say "Hey buddy, you might want to try that stand over inthe northeast field corner." Whether he "has permission" shouldn't matter, b/c you're obviously welcoming guys to come in and hunt and be successful, right?

Nahhh, they'retaking down license plate numbers and calling in the law.

Again... Saying one thing, doing another.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

I'm all in favor of any type of legal hunting.... That being said - I certainly don't want people that are hunting my general area to be successful (at least on big bucks)

Keep in mind that deer numbers are very low in my area, so there may only be one or two mature deer in a several mile area...

I have to admit I'm a little surprised at some of these posts? It seems like some people wouldn't mind one bit to see the neighbor pulling out of the field next to yours with a big booner in the back of his truck??? Are you guys for real???
SDH - a lot of the pillowtalk in this thread is just a result of guys trying to be PC and preserve the "I support all hunting" image. I'm sure the same guys who say they're "rooting for everybody" - they'd rather eat broken glass than see some stranger sitting in their favorite stand on opening day.

Let a carload of total strangers show up on the opening day of gun season and ask for permission to hunt on their private land and see what they tell 'em... "Sorry fellas, but we're all filled up..."

I'd reckon if you asked the same question to the Drury brothers - they'd give the same PC b.s. response. "Oh yeah, we hope everybody has a great season." Then, ask them if you can sit in one of their best Iowa stands during the first week of November. LOL. See what they tell ya.

They hope you have a great season allright - a great season someplace where they don't hunt, that is.

That's where the rubber meets the road. If I was to guess, I'd say that a high percentage of hunters fall into category #2. They look out for #1 first, and if they're lucky enough to tag out - they'll help out a buddy/family member. Outside that circle, they're hoping that every buck in the woods makes it through gun season.

I just conducted this poll to see some of the responses. I'm glad to see that a lot of you guys are honest enough to admit it.

Like I said before: I read the paper and log in here every day, and I've never seen any ads: "HELP! I tagged out in Archery Season! Great Stand Site now vacant! 150"+ Bucks! Gun hunters Needed ASAP! Free! Call me asap, before this stand cools off!"
Well lets see, I was on my way to my stand with my Flintlock in hand when I look and see a car stuck in the snow. There were 2 older gentlemen trying to push it out. I stop and help push them get unstuck, took about 20 minutes. We got into talking about the area and where they are doing to hunt. They said they had no idea, pretty new to this part of the state land. I told them where to sit and where the deer were going to come from. I went and sat in a different area with no problem not even thinking about it just hoping to hear shots from that area! No shots, after the hunt we talked and became friends, some of you guys should try it some time!

So yes, some of us are for real.......
Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a trespasser for example. Lots of guys on here will blow a gasket if they catch a trespasser hunting on their land. Newsflash: If you really wanted your fellow hunters to get a deer, you'd leave the guy alone and hope that he gets one. Maybe even go out and say "Hey buddy, you might want to try that stand over inthe northeast field corner." Whether he "has permission" shouldn't matter, b/c you're obviously welcoming guys to come in and hunt and be successful, right?

Nahhh, they'retaking down license plate numbers and calling in the law.
THAT is a poacher, not a hunter. In fact, in Texas, you're committing a felony if you're hunting on private property without permission.

Quick Reply: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.