Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many bowhunters have rifle hunted? >

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

I rifle hunt+bow hunt
Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bry:

I've never used a big game (caliber) hunting rifle with a scope. But why would you need a scope (I'm just asking) for a 100yd shot (or so)?

Is that a fair question? I see people on TV shoot that distance with a ML and iron sights.
Jeff,

Get yourself a shotgun or muzzle loaderwith aniron sight, put out a bullseye target at 100yds, shoot at it without a rest (off hand) and report back with your results.

I also would like for you to grab a rifle with a scope and shoot it off hand at anything past 100yds using the same size target, and report back.

P.S. You can take as many shots as you like.and I'll be more than happy to supply the firearms.

Shooting at a range and hunting are two completely different things even when both are utilizing a rest. At a range you have the luxury and the time to set your rifle in a secure position and sight it in perfectly with a known distancewhere basically all you need to do is carefully lean into it and shoulder the rifle, acquire your sight andpull the trigger.

Making a 100yd shot in a hunting situation with an iron sightedrifle is not a gimme even while usinga rest. Make it an off handed shot and it's even more difficult.

You can watch all the TV shows you want but they will never air the misses, wounded and not recovered deer, or mishaps that occur while hunting (bow or gun). All they show are the successful kills and it makes folks think it's easy.

That's another reason why I like Tred Barta but that's for another post.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey..who wants gun??? I do..I do
Old 12-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Bartender

Me
Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Get yourself a shotgun or muzzle loaderwith aniron sight, put out a bullseye target at 100yds, shoot at it without a rest (off hand) and report back with your results.
Now you go adding "off-hand" in there....lol. Guys..I'm watching the "You make the shot" segment, yesterday (TV hunting show)....and they discussed this very thing. The hunter had a rest. He was using a ML, iron sights.....and they said the 100yd shot wasn't that big of a deal. I don't know???? Don't care! Just figured they knew what they were taliking about.

I asked if the question was fair. I think it was.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a bowhunter at heart I love it. Sometimes I gun hunt (Shotgun) depending on if I've been successfull in bow season. If I don't have meat etc. the shotgun comes out. This year I had the added complication that the neighboring property is hunted HARD. Constant people in the woods has changed the deer's behavior dramaticaly. So opening morning I took my shotgun. It worked out for me as I took the buck on my avatar.

BTW it was an 80 yard off hand shot. LOL
Old 12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first year huntingat 12 years old my dad told me to give the gun a try even though I started bow hunting that year as well. My family has been big into bow hunting for a long time but the old man said I want you to make your own decision on what to use so my first year i took out my remington 870 20 gaugeat triedit out, that lasted about 1 day and i told dad the gun isn't for me and i'm sticking to bow hunting! All of my animals have been taken with a bow!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 PM

i'm still a rifle hunter as i've yet to go on my first bow hunt... spent the last 3-4 months purchasing stuff for my first bow hunt, which i hope to be some time next october...
Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Bry:

I've never used a big game (caliber) hunting rifle with a scope. But why would you need a scope (I'm just asking) for a 100yd shot (or so)?

Is that a fair question? I see people on TV shoot that distance with a ML and iron sights.
Yes, it is a fair question. First of all, as Greg said it makes picking out twigs in the way much easier. Secondly, in PA with ARs it makes it easier to count points (or in the old days see if that there deer has spikes or not). Third, there is a lot of agriculture here so you never know when you make catch a deer in a field.

As far as people shooting with a ML and iron sights on TV, I've seen people fly on Heroes, and on that magic show a guy killed himself and came back to life. That doesn't mean I can do that.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM

I'm of the mood, been there done that with a rifle.. although I've never taken any huge deer or elk, but certainly lots of deer. Not a lot of challenge in it, but more for me its about getting away from the ORANGE ARMY OF IDIOTS.

Quick Reply: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.