Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many bowhunters have rifle hunted? >

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

I do both, but have actually had better luck bowhunting than rifle hunting this year.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a muzzleloader,my travel gun case can fit 2 rifles or one rifle and one muzzleloader,I hunt in Northern Idaho.You see where I am going with this?I'm headed to The Idaho Fish and Game web site! LOL!
To answer the gentlemans question,I hunt with a rifle as well as a bow and enjoy them both immensely.Originally archery was a way to extend the season and to get a crack at the bigger deer before the rifle hunting pressure,either killed them or sent them underground.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I started off gun hunting, and found no enjoyment in it.

I'm not being deragotory towards others who do gun hunt, and I'll fight with every bone in my body for us to keep that right -- but I grew up with a gun in my hands and became a very skilled marksman. For me personally, it was as simple as if I could see it, I could kill it.

I'm a bowhunter only for everything but squirrels, rabbits and dove. Large game is bow only.
Although my background never had me pegged as a "skilled marksman" by any stretch.......I've killed enough animals with a gun to know that Greg and I have very similar views. I even see my bowhunting choices changing as the years go by. I haven't killed anything with a gun in a while now.....and haven't killed a big game animal with a gun in almost 10 years (and only 2, then).
Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I started off gun hunting, and found no enjoyment in it.

I'm not being deragotory towards others who do gun hunt, and I'll fight with every bone in my body for us to keep that right -- but I grew up with a gun in my hands and became a very skilled marksman. For me personally, it was as simple as if I could see it, I could kill it.

I'm a bowhunter only for everything but squirrels, rabbits and dove. Large game is bow only.
Although my background never had me pegged as a "skilled marksman" by any stretch.......I've killed enough animals with a gun to know that Greg and I have very similar views. I even see my bowhunting choices changing as the years go by. I haven't killed anything with a gun in a while now.....and haven't killed a big game animal with a gun in almost 10 years (and only 2, then).
I have to laugh at these posts, not because they are not true, just because they are not true for me.

Sometimes I feel like deer are the safest when I'm in the woods with a scoped rifle. I've been shooting since I was 8 years old, and if you put me on a bench I will rival most guys with a gun. Something about getting that deer in a scope I just come unglued. I might as well be throwing rocks at them. For me the rifle is much more of a challenge than a bow or even shotgun. I do realize that the challenge is all between my ears, but it's still there.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. (Used a rifle when I still lived in PA.) This year was totally bow and muzzleloader, though.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both 2 differant seasons and another way to get into the woods
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Bry:

I've never used a big game (caliber) hunting rifle with a scope. But why would you need a scope (I'm just asking) for a 100yd shot (or so)?

Is that a fair question? I see people on TV shoot that distance with a ML and iron sights.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I used scoped guns, I did it so that I could see imperceptible twigs and branches that may be between me and my quarry. Just one reason.

It really helped the summer I killed over 1,500 birds with my air rifle! [:-] I was in junior high, I think...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 PM

I only bow hunt
Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Both.

Quick Reply: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.