Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowtech Guardian Question/Concern >

Bowtech Guardian Question/Concern

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech Guardian Question/Concern

Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtech Guardian Question/Concern

I heard that guardians' fps are more sensitive to variations in DL and DW than other bows, is this true?
I'm not sure where anyone would get that idea? Any bow is going to lose a considerable amount of speed dropping the draw weight down 10# while keeping the arrow weight the same.
Every # you drop the draw weight is like adding 5grs to your arrow's weight so dropping 10# is the equivalent of adding 50grs of weight to your arrow which will drop your speed probably 15-18fps?
Some bows are a little more efficient at certain draw lengths and all bows that I have seen are most efficient at their peak draw weight but I wouldn't have any reason to believe that the Guardian would be any different than any other bow in it's IBO speed range by adjusting the weight downward.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:28 PM

thanks for the help so far matt. appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

So just what purpose do these caps serve? Cosmetic?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

OK listen to me if you want I'm only a "Coporate Staff" guy too, but I know what I'm talking about:

First just to be safe because I don't know what you've been doing.......back the bolts out and start over. You DO NOT want to overtighten these. when you have each one loose tighten each one just enough to be snug. (maybe1/2 turn after you feel them sinking home)
You notice a space between both sides of this cap (top and bottom) and it appears almost like two sides of a set of scope rings.......your goal is to NOT NOT NOT bring these 2 sides together. You will cause the cap to crack.

It is easy to overtighten these because they have that synthetic pad between the cap and the limb facesand the screws will keep going until you've gone to far.

In your case if you were wrenchingon them, backeach one out until it's loose and then just snug them lightly and equally. THAT'S IT.They should be set properly from the factory and only messed with if for some reason one backs out and isobviously loose.
If you haven't touched them just leave em' alone.
SO... I was right after all. Imagine that.[8D]
Old 12-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's a difference in tightening something down and cranking on it with all your might.

As Matt said, I think 1/2 turn after snugging them up qualifies as "it's ok to tighten them up." Beyond that is ridiculously overkill, and I think common sense would prevail a bit here. I've torn two Guardians all the way down until every part was laying on the table of my archery shop to gain an understanding of how they worked when they were first released, and never had a problem with either.

Rick, to answer your question... the caps are not entirely cosmetic, even though I think Bowtech did a great job in making these pieces attractive. The caps are the other end of the center pivot arm and is what holds the whole structure in place.

And they will pivot on their own axles; that's where the movement comes from -- NOT in having the bolts loose.