Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A CONCERN with BowTech. >

A CONCERN with BowTech.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A CONCERN with BowTech.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A CONCERN with BowTech.

First, please understand this is just a 'concern', but if left unnoticed couldcause some disappointment.
Three years ago, after so encouragement from my fellow archers, I decided I was going to divert a little and get myself a BowTech Liberty target bow. This I did, the bow was orderedand I was very impressed with the spanking New2004Blue & Black Liberty when it arrived.As I do with all my new bows--the first thing, other than looking for any dings etc, Icompare all the manufacture specifications/ measurements, SN--etc and document it on my ownbirth certificate and log. I then fill out the manufacture warranty and return.
That year, 2004 BowTech was a bit late in printing their Owner's manual (to include with the bow)and eventually this was added to the web site.
In 2005, after shooting the Liberty for a year and really enjoying it I decided I was going to stay with BowTech and try their spanking new EQ Cams and got myself an Allegiance.
"Impressed" was just another one of the many words I thought of this bow when I finally got it. Included with the bow was BowTech gift baseball hat and a well put together Owner'sManual providing just about everything one could ask for in a manual.Including their equalizer cam chart, speed rating chart, draw post settings, reference guide as well asthe specifications for all the new EQ BowTech bows andtheir older modles, almosteverything one would need--to an extent.
Like always, I measured and documented all the bowspecs and again I was extremely overwhelmed at how all the measurements I took matched exactly with what BowTech had specified in their manual.
However as we all know-- the demand for BowTechbows accelerated. Almost every BowTech owneropenly praised their bows and I must add--correctly so.
"This Ain't Your Daddy's Bow"--Taking the Arch out of Archery!!!
Also supported by an exciting new TVinfomecial aired on the Outdoor Channel--which unfortunatelywas later onmirrowed by another bow company.
A new year, 2006 and BowTechlaunched more new bows. Improving on their EQ cams, now modules were engineered so as to reduce the work and time for changing draw length as well as off setting the cable track to get better the alignment of the string at full draw.
I continued my support for BowTech and ordered a Tribute, "pray for our troops" andI would, without question, shore up that call!!!
Got a call saying my Tribute had arrived and the following day made my way there.
WOW--what a sweet looking bow, changes in the grip, changesto the cam, color change to the cables & string--MAX 4 camo--how much better can it get--I thought!!!
Got home--and it was timeagain for measuring the specs---but wait---WHERE ARE THE SPECS? Again I flipped through my Owner's Manual--front to back, back to front--why can't I find the specifications for my bow I thought to myself. A Bowtech decal, and Diamond Bow flyer, another hat (same hat--no changes since my first Bowtech--but still a nice hat)--but NO SPECS.
How do I find the correct module for my draw length? Oh well, time to call my buddy Dave. Start at 30" he said, that'll be module #1,then 1/2 increments from there, less for draw length, greaterfor module. e.g --29-1/2" DL +#1.5 module, 29' DL = #2.0and so on. Good, so I now got my DL covered. As for the bowspecs, I consulted BowTech web site--no more searching through my owner's manual, those pages are missing.
More surprises followed--my measurements does not correspond.
BowTech saysTributebrace height 7-1/2"--my measurement 7-5/8". BowTech says Axle toAxle 31-1/2"--I got 31-3/8", draw weight limbs bottomed--BowTech says 60 #, I get 58#.
What has happened to quality control and pre-inspection before these bows leave the factory? Why is there so little information printed in the manual this year? Is there too little time now that the demand has gone past the supply?
It is my view that standards must be maintained, otherwise one gets the impression of a negative slide. It is my sincere hope this is not the case here. I am 'concerned'.
If we "Refuse to Follow"---that means we must maintain the lead.
I know this isn't always easy--but nothing good, comes easy!
I think it's time again to pull the socks up and tighten the belts.
Just my humble opinion.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A CONCERN with BowTech.

I think they did not publish the specs and other more technical info to help discouragea lot of the home brew bow mechanics away from wrenching on their own stuff......a lot of the people that had problems with binaries hitting 100% letoff last year fit into this category and I am sure Bowtech took this into account whenmakingdecisions on whether or not to publish this info for the consumer to see. They now publish a VERY detailed dealer only version of this stuff.....your dealer should have access to all this info for you. I also think that people put too much thought into exact measurements and specs on these bows. I have talked at length w/ Pat D about my constitution when I first got it, he basically told me to get it within 1/8" of the published specs, make sure it was at the appropriate letoff,and then just shoot it and not worry about specs.The bow shoots lights out like this......I think your specs are good to go honestly.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If those specs aren't close enough for ya i don't think you will ever be satisfied.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen very few bows of any brands match exactly advertised specs. Most of my Martins were always off a bit on brace height by 1/4" and the ata were always off by 1/4"-1/2". I've never bought a new bow which was under poundage though, most were always capable of going over.....but isn't that not good quality control as you see it?

I admit my Patriot is dead on with brace height specs and my 70 lb. bow peaks at 70.1 lbs. I'd say thats pretty darn good.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:03 PM

i'll agree a bit ampa. on my consti, the cables came 3/16" long. that's a lot. the string was 3/16" long also. i called and talked to the person who heads up their custom string dept. they've been known to correct things in the past, change the lengths, and not really tell anyone. anyway, that's why i went up the ladder from who answers the tech phone. i asked if they'd adjusted the lengths. nope. so mine just all came long by 3/16". i know how they make strings, pretty impossible to make the wrong length with all the nice machines i covet. also, 452x ain't givin that much, so somebody just let it slide. hey, big deal, it shot, but its kinda a big deal to me.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I think they did not publish the specs and other more technical info to help discouragea lot of the home brew bow mechanics away from wrenching on their own stuff......a lot of the people that had problems with binaries hitting 100% letoff last year fit into this category and I am sure Bowtech took this into account whenmakingdecisions on whether or not to publish this info for the consumer to see.
I think with out without the info in the manual, some will titivate.
I just like knowing that I havethe manuals ofthings that I buy, soin the event of queries I could reference same.I think I ama bit of a perfectionist this way. My fault.
But why take away from the owners of the bows. I'm sure we all wouldlike to know as much as we could about things of great interest--my bows are more than my toys at times and NO I don't make a living at this, luckily!!!
isasker--the specs are good enough, but I've seen better from BowTech in the past--a Buddy of mine just got himself theNew 06Allegiance--70#--this bow maxed out @ 66 pounds, honestly.
It's like shooting for the 10 ring and hitting the 8, we all know we're a bit disappointed deep inside. Not that I am perfect, that's almost impossible, but I hope you understand.
Cougar, yes it is 'good' quality control, but there isroom for improvement--isn't there?
And as Gibblet mentioned--big deal it shot--- BUT it is knida of a big deal to me, also. Little things add up and before you know it, it could be too late.
It's just a CONCERN ---but I am NOT PERFECT myself, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be !!!
Old 03-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ampa,
I hear ya. I had a much better owners manual with my 03 Patriot. The manual I got with my Equalizer is more of a brochure than anything. Nice hat though.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree with you AMPA and was discouraged when my dealer didn't even have the information- they found the time to mail him several bows to sell, but yet he still doesn't have any tuning or specification information. If you make a draw length module change how are you supposed to know where to put the peg without this information?

Oh and by the way that black hat is the same "made in china" hat I recieved with my04 patriot. Stars and stripes all over the place and then they skimp on the price of a hat?? not impressed.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:56 PM

at first you think its a hat, and then realize its true purpose, to collect lint and dust, which it excels at.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, a lint and dust removal tool!!
Ah heck, there goes bowtech trying to woo my wife with gifts. That was very smart of them, now she'll let me buy more bows so she can get her "bowtech duster" .

Quick Reply: A CONCERN with BowTech.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.