Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does your state allow??? >

Does your state allow???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does your state allow???

Old 12-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does your state allow???

Baiting is legal and practically standard operating procedure on private land here in Texas. It's illegal on most public land though.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

They made it legal here in Ohio somewhere around 12-15 years ago (I think). I don't think it has made one bit of difference to the # of deer killed or anything.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I live in...take a guess...and it is legal here and I do bait at some of my spots, not all though. I shot a descent buck last year over an empty bait spot.....does that count? Actually, Ishot a piebald yesterday evening 2 yards from a corn pile....glad I had it out or maybe I would have never seen him.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have no interest in sitting over a bait pile.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Louisiana allows us to Plant food plots and bait with corn and rice bran and soy beans and all sorts of things. Then on top of that our rifle season goes from the end of Oct. till the first weekend of January, and our bow season in my part of the state goes from Sept. 15 to Jan 15. Also we can kill 6 deer, 3 does and 3 bucks no matter what size they are aslong as they have horns.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

I feel like aggressive baiting often turns deer nocturnal. I have seen more deer in the last couple years when we haven't used corn, apples, rye, wheat, beans, etc.in feeders where we hunt. I'll still put a few mineral blocksout and maybe a pile of corn on the ground in August or September, but deer know unknown food source = HUNTER
Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see a problem with corning roads for hogs but hunting over bait for deer or bear doesn't seem as fun. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it if it was legal but not a prefered method. ( The hog method just brings them into the road and then you stalk them, which doesn't seem as pedestrian ) I think my biggest problem with it is spreading of CWD and it being a waste of good food if overdone. From what I hear the best method is to have it on a timer and only release enough for a few deer so that the bucks, if they want the food, can't wait until dark to eat because it will be gone by then. I can see using hay in Canada and other sparse population/extreme weather areas. Any baiting has to be done with overall herd health in mind (ie spread of disease).
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My observations on bait so far. This is the first year that I have had a private spot where it seemed worth giving corn a try. Preseason and earlyseason it seemed to attract does and fawns regularly. I have been using trail cameras to see what is going on. I had three feeders out, one feeder deer stopped going by the 2nd day of bow seasonfor some unknown reason.I took it away, the spot has gone cold even 2 months later. The second spot gets mostly does and fawns regularly. Some very small bucks visit the area on occasion but don't seem to go to the feeder. I have caught one shooter buck on the camera once but not at the feeder. The third feeder is about a quarter mile away up the power line and seems to get the same deer as the second feeder. I also keep a nice pile going right in the center of the property in a thick wooded area. Here I have some regular pictures of the same small bucks feeding mostly at night. I amusing these feeders to keep deer on the property and hold them over for years to come. I will be adding a nice food plot for next year. We have taken a few does on the property but no shooter bucks. Does the corn help? To some extent I suppose, but this is sure no bucks of Tecamote.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Michigan allows it but its restricted to 2 gallons and must be spread over a 10X10 area.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM

No in Iowa

Quick Reply: Does your state allow???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.