Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More or less deer? >

More or less deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More or less deer?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More or less deer?

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I would like one deer on my land [8D]. As long as it's the one I want to shoot. Honestly if I only saw one single deer all season and it was the buck I was after I'd be happy. I don't need to see or shoot a lot of deer. I could care less about "seeing deer". I care about seeing "the deer". Picking up what I'm putting down?
It's easy to say you don't care about "seeing" deer when you routinely see alot of deer. But I promise you, sitting out there for8 or 10 consecutive hunts without a deer sighting gets old real fast. I did that this year, and it was excruciating after about the 7th straight hunt without a sighting.

I'd rather see more deer, and kill less deer. Because I see so few deer during the season, I have this overwhelming urge to shoot anything that presents a shot because opportunities are so few and far between.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I say about the same amount as this year. I've killed 2 with rifle (1buck, 1doe) and a small buck with my ML. After making jerky, hot links and chili those 3 should last us throughout the year. Also, since I quarter them then eventually bone them out, I get pretty sick of the whole processing thing.There is a late doe only season and by that time I will have forgotten about the perils of processing and could likely process one more. But, I think4 would be more than enough. If I end up with 4 and don't consume them then I'll give some away andcut it back to 3 next year. Only what I can use!!!

One note: I finally killed a nice buck this year so I think next year I will be more likely to hold off on smaller bucks and takemy does until I see a good quality buck. Up until now I would pretty much shoot anything. I wish more people in our area would kill more doe, it needs to be done. But, most hunt forracks only.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I see plenty of deer and pass on any buck under 4.5 years old bow. Been doing it for years with bow. I can get doe tags.I am notso picky with rifle. Will drop it down to a 3.5 year old buck. That makes iteasier to eat a bow tagso I canstick with my goals bowhunting. To tell you the truth... the urge to kill came on strong late last year at the end of bow season. I stuck to my goals and passed onyounger bucks andate another bow tag. It bothered me.

This yearI've got 3doe tags. Figured that would keep the urge at bay. Killed two so far and a coyote. The urge is stronger then ever though.Once that last doe tag get used, I might just scrap big buck hunting and kill any buck. Not even sure if this guy is safe from me...

Old 12-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TJF

I see plenty of deer and pass on any buck under 4.5 years old bow. Been doing it for years with bow. I can get doe tags.I am notso picky with rifle. Will drop it down to a 3.5 year old buck. That makes iteasier to eat a bow tagso I canstick with my goals bowhunting. To tell you the truth... the urge to kill came on strong late last year at the end of bow season. I stuck to my goals and passed onyounger bucks andate another bow tag. It bothered me.

This yearI've got 3doe tags. Figured that would keep the urge at bay. Killed two so far and a coyote. The urge is stronger then ever though.Once that last doe tag get used, I might just scrap big buck hunting and kill any buck. Not even sure if this guy is safe from me...

Ah come on TIM! thought you were saving"booner" for me????
Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's easy to say you don't care about "seeing" deer when you routinely see alot of deer. But I promise you, sitting out there for8 or 10 consecutive hunts without a deer sighting gets old real fast.
I just "routinely" sat my 9th straight sit without seeing a single deer. That's in about 15 degree weather with 15-30 mph winds most of the sits. Walking about 3/4 of a mile in 14 inches of snow only to sit out there and have my nostril hair freeze. I understand how old it gets .
Old 12-05-2007, 09:03 AM

I can kill 8 deer in MS.. I typically average 2 deer a year.....

If I can get one doe and one buck, I'm happy.... That's all my family will eat and I find no great thrill in killing anymore.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love seeing and hunting deer. I do not particularly like killing them, or anything for that matter. I kill one during bow season and that is enough, i could get a ton of antlerless tags if i wanted to. If we need more meat i get it during late muzzy.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Spike

More.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far I have only killed six this season but I will likely tag a few more if I can get my butt in the woods, so more would be good. Between VA and NC I get 5 buck tags and unlimited doe tags(DMAP in VA). I usually get at least 2-3 deer processed into burger and sausage and keep 6 or 8 ham roasts. Between my house and my parents we will use most of the meat by next Oct. and then the cycle begins again. I donate 100's of pounds of meet to Hunters For The Hungry (some places will give you a charitable donation reciept for tax purposes) and I keep a lot of people(anyone who asks)at work fat with venison. I would say that I kill way more deer than I "need" but it definitely doesn't get wasted. Is there anybody else that likes the killing part? Don't get me wrong I am not a bloodthirsty caveman, I enjoy hunting all the time, kill or no kill,but I really enjoy a hunt that ends with a deer or two in my truckbed. There, I said it, I like killing deer.

Quick Reply: More or less deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.