Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More or less deer? >

More or less deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More or less deer?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default More or less deer?

Sounds like a weird question.....but if you had your choice.....would you kill MORE or LESS deer?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: More or less deer?

DUH, no but seriously, I am content right now, now I wish i could choose to shoot better quality deer...

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I try to harvest around two or three does a year along with a buck. Right now Im at one buck and two does with one more tag to fill. I would probably kill more does to try to even out the buck doeratio if tags were cheaper.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I could Kill more does, and it's not from a lack of tags

Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

tough one. I rarely find myself at the end of the season saying either that I have too much meat or that I need more. I donate every other deer I shoot, so sometimes I feel compelled to shoot more. also, I live 2 hr away from where I hunt, so I don't really ever get my fill of it, especially for bowhunting.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

At the stage of hunting I am in right now, it's has nothing to do with the killing part of the hunt. I'm out there because I love it so much. If I had the want to kill more deer, I'd opt for more doe tags, or a doe tag. Now if the need to kill more does were present in my core areas I would do so.

So is it the want or the need that drives me/us? For me, I'm more inclined to be content hunting for a single buck in my home state. Now if the need arose and we could get two buck tags, sure I'd do so to continue the hunt but again, I think the want is different than the need.

What drives me to leave my home state then? Hmm, is it the want to kill more deer or the need to hunt more. HHmm, I suppose I travel on the possibility of the kill more so than the actual kill. Then again, I wonder what the hell I'm talking about. I just don't know.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish in MN you could take more than 1 buck.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

There's another angle, here.....for you other guys out there taxed with doe mgmt.

I've learned this season that I don't particularly like killing a lot of deer. Sadly....where I live.....I never see that changing, though (the need).
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like it how it is here. 1 buck and you pay more if you want to hunt for the second buck. Predators take care of the does/keeping them in check and some bucks too. I feel like we have lower deer densities than many whitetail hunting areas but mother nature seems to keep the age structure here balanced as well as the buck to doe ratio. In suburban areas we could use extra doe tags. In the mountains nope.

I'd take quality over quantity any day.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I think you're reading too much into this, guys.

Quick Reply: More or less deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.