Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cheap meat locker??? >

cheap meat locker???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cheap meat locker???

Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Spike

Default cheap meat locker???

Didn't know where to post this so I decided to here because all of us bow hunters come across this sooner or later. I am going to build a garage and wanted to incorporate a cheap meat locker in the corner. I was thinking about a 6ft.x6ft. enclosure in the corner of the garage. I would insulate the HECK out of the ceiling and walls and was thinking about putting a window a/c unit in it to keep the deer cool to let them hang for a few days before processing them myself. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated so it will be ready for next bow season.

By the way I live in Northeast Ohio, but it does get warm here and I like to process my own meat but it does get warm enuff that you worry about meat spoilage while the deer is hanging.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: cheap meat locker???

plan to do this next year when i buy my hunting land i planed to build a building and put the same locker in it but 10 by 10 or so if you insulat it good look at handi foam it is a foam spray in insulation good stuff but not cheap but since your doing a small area not to bad you can do it yourself
get a window ac and it should work out find let us know how it works you might be able to get a refidirater kit for like a commercel size frezer that would keep it colder ortake one out of a big freezer
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

take the thermastat (sp) out of the window ac and it will get nice and cold.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very cool ideas. I was thinking about doing the same thing in my workshop. What are you using for the walls on the inside. Something that can be kept clean easier than wood? Do you guys plan on butchering them in the cooler or just holding them there, taking them out and butchering them where you have more room? If so how do you plan on getting from the cooler to where you're going to process them?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

i plan on making it big enough to do the butchering not sure how big yet i would properly use tile for the walls and floor and put a drain in the floor for easy cleanup

Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 AM

I use gutted out coca cola machines. Works great. You can fit about 3 deer in one and can pick one up around here for around $250-400.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Spike

I was just going to use mine to store the deer in and then take them out in the main part of the garage to do the skinning. A guy I know has an older 2-door pop holder thing from like your 7-11 store and throws his deer in there, but they lay down on top of each other. I don't think that is good, I like to hang them so the blood drips out. As far as easy floor clean-up,I was thinking of throwing a bunch of sawdust/woodchips or even kitty litter down to soak up the blood. I think if you insulate the heck out of the walls and ceiling the window a/c unit would work. The only thing I worry about is the a/c unit thermostat not letting it get cold enuff or it getting to cold and freezing up.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine had a small block building, insulated with a window unit. It worked great...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

watch the insulastion board stuff some of it is fiberglass
andi would and will use a wal matriel that is seal so it could be sprays out and no hold blood
ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I thought about making a locker out of an old tack room on our farm. Its a small room. I was going to strip the wall to the studs, re-insulate it, use 3/8'' ply and then that metal looking insulation board, forgot what its called. Ceiling and walls.

I figured thatI could strip the motor and coil out of an old industrial(or 2)fridge. I figure, if insulated correctly, it would would be a cheap locker !!

Quick Reply: cheap meat locker???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.