Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your first shot at a deer with bow....hit/miss? >

Your first shot at a deer with bow....hit/miss?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your first shot at a deer with bow....hit/miss?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your first shot at a deer with bow....hit/miss?

My first deer ever was a 80# doe I shot at about 10 yards and killed her that was when I was 13 years old
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Miss. I fell asleep in my treestand on the edge of a soybean field. Woke up to a doe and fawns below me in the brush. They moved out into the field to eat, then as they came back to the edge and I drew. Shot just over the back of the doe at 20 yds...I didn't follow through. Since that day everytime I see a deer while I have a bow in my hand, the first thought that runs through my mind is to follow through.

BTW my Dad got shot that same doe two days later out of the same stand....he didn't fall asleep.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, not following through has been the enemy of many, myself included.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was when I was 13, hunting from the ground, had a buck and two does feeding on acorns right in front of me. The two does go straight and the buck angles right towards me. He is standing about 2-3 yards away crunching acorns and it was over for me by this point. I made the mistake of making direct eye contact with him and to this day I don't which one of us was more startled. Anyway he bails about 20 yards as I draw my bow and he stops broadside looking in my direction. I touch the release and proceed to spear a pine tree directly behind the buck, over his shoulder. This time he leaves for good. So, I missed but one of my most vivid hunting memories to date.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Miss. It was a real nice buck too.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:55 AM

My first shot? Sorry, but this will be a long one! Well, it was back when I was 16, and I took my best friend out, who had never hunted before in his life, and had him climb up into the branches of a huge cedar tree right next to my stand. After about an hour on stand, I hear something coming from behind me. Grabbed the old Bear Black Panther, and when I got turned back to my left, he was just going behind a tree, broadside at 15 yards! I drew, and as soon as he cleared the tree he stopped right in a wide open spot. Settled the pin in right behind the shoulder, and let it fly! I watched as the fletchings disappeared right where I had been aiming! He ran about 50 yards, stopped, and started blowing at me then I lost sight of him. Looked back down at the spot of the shot, and there was my arrow, soaked with blood!! I'm pumped, and I think we are both about to fall out of the tree! Got down after waiting as long as we could (maybe 15 mins)and checked out the arrow. Looked good, so we took up the trail. We were only finding a few drops every 10 ft or so, but just knew he was down where we last saw him. Got to there, and couldn't find any more blood, so we backed out, and went home to call a friend that had a dog that could supposedly track deer. Came back a few hours later, and got the dog on the trail. He ran something for about 2 miles, so we figured somehow my shot was bad, and called it quits! We were young, and no one in our family had any bowhunting experience, so we were learning as we went, but now, I really think that I made a good shot, and we just sucked at tracking! Still bothers me to this day to think that I killed one, and never recovered it!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:57 AM

P.S. never got a good look at him, happened to fast, but think he was a decent 5-6 pt.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 AM

Absolutley a miss!! Two does at 28 yds way back in 1991. Shooting a Golden Eagle/ Talon Predator. Never came close. I hunted two years before even seeing a deer.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Hit and recovered. Twenty paces from my tree. Saw the arrow hit and saw blood, the deer turned around and I saw blood on that side to. Second later he was down. I will never forgetthinking " OMG, Ihad no ideait could be so lethal and so and quick. This is awsome." I was hooked.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

Miss. 35 yard shot with a 35 lb recurve in 1967. I was 11.

Quick Reply: Your first shot at a deer with bow....hit/miss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.