Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Euro Mount Help... >

Euro Mount Help...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Euro Mount Help...

Old 11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Euro Mount Help...

The other day somebody posted some great instructions for a euro mount but I can't find it. Can somebody please get me the instructions.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Euro Mount Help...

You got mail.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

If you try and boil the head over an open flame do not leave. I did a euro mount last year over an open flame and just went in the house for about 45 minutes and came back out and the tip of one of the antlers was gone. I guess the flames shot up or just got to hot.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Zing Pow

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2463659&mpage=1&key=&#246365 9
Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

The easy way,

Before I start I need to mention to always look for teeth. Any time you pour out your water, make sure all the teeth are in the skull. If not, find them in the water bath before you get rid of it. Keep them and just glue them back in when done with super glue, or fletch tite.

Clean skin off skull and big chunks of meat. Dont get froggy and worry about scraping down to the bone. You dont want to damange the bone. I even leave the eyes in. They boil into a solid mass that comes out easy with boiling. Orbit , sphenoid, and ethmoid bones (eye bones) are thin and you can damage then by digging after the eyes.

Find a pot big enough to put the head in. Fill with water, put in some baking soda (or any other mild base) and boil. Boil somewhere besides in the house, it smells a little. Remove head every now and then and pull off the meat that is falling off. Some meat will be stuborn, and nasel cartilage will be stuborn. Dont force anything, just boil more. Brains you can scramble by putting a coat hanger in the foramen magnus (hole in the back of skull) or you can just boil them. To get the brains out, just blast them out with your water hose. I like to simply let the brains boil, then shake them out as they loosen. Once all the brain is out, the menange (sack that sorrounds the brain) will form a mass of material inside the cavity. I just make a hook with a hanger and pull it out. Agian, dont force anything, just boil longer. And dont hard boil, simmer to a mild boil is all you want.

Once most of the meat is gone, and you have just littlebits and pieces in the small cracks and crevises, you are ready for the next step. You can sometimes get most of that stuff out with a water hose and spray it out. Just dont spray out the nasil bones and thin bones in front of the eye orbit.

This step some people do, some dont. I insist on it to clean the skull fully and to remove lots of oil from the bones. Its a must with oil bones like bear of boar. Clean you boiling pot with dish detergent. Clean your skull with dish detergent as well. I like to use an old tooth bursh to help get in the cracks. If you use a tooth brush,dont damage the thin bones. After cleaning, feel the pot with 3% peroxide (this grade is in every store), put your skull back in the pot with peroxide, and simmer it for a few hours. It will clean it real good. When I use this methoid, I take an old bike innertube and slice it long ways and cut off a liberal strip to wrape real tight around the base of the antlers and tie it in place with string. The peroxide will bleach the antlers, so you want to protect them. Most of the time, it will bleach a little bit of the antlers, even if you wrape them with something.

Another metoid of bleaching is to use 40% peroxide. Much better methoid. This way you can get matting material, cotton, or anything absorbant and soak it with the peroxide. Wrap up the skull with the peroxide soaked stuff, staying off the antlers, and let it set. It will bleach pretty quick this way. Which ever methoid you use to bleach the skull, clean with dish washing detergent after words to get off the oil drawn out of the bones. Be sure to wash the antlers as well.

Let dry. some people will leave there skulllike this, but ive found out that some oil will still leech out over time, so I like to seal mine. I tape up the antlers and the teeth and spray the skull with Kilz spay primer. I like it better than pain because it is flat, and when dried, it looks just like dried bleached bone. It also will stick to the skull much better. (Ive seen skulls painted, that after a few years start to orange pill due to oil under the paint working its way to the surface, kilz is a primer, so it wont do this.)

Most of the time, you will have to touch up the antlers. You can order antler die, which works well, or you can use brown and black shoe pollish. Not the paste type the liquid kind. I dab a bit of black and brown shoe pollish in a container, or on a sheet of tin foil. I mix it with a small paint brush and use the paint brush to brush the polish on the antlers. dabing works best. It will not set well at first, but remember to do it just like you would paint anytihing with thin layers. Once you get the antlers the way you want, your done. If you get any pollish on the skull, just spray some kilzs primer on some foil/container and use another paint brush to dab it up and touch up the places you got the pollish on.

Ive done many skulls like this, and they are all holding up well. Some times, on animals with tusks or big teeth, you can seal the teach with laquire. Sometimes tusks will split over time, so I seal them or replace them with plastic copies.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fran, I haven't done my buck yet, but my buddy did his by soaking the skull in salt water and then boiling twice for 4 hours each time to get all the nastys out .......would boiling with salt that long weaken it?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Quiksilver that's what I was looking for.