Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Euro Mount

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Euro Mount

Hey guys, I shot an eight point over the weekend, unfortunately the coyotes got to him before I could. I want to do a Euro mount on the skull. Can any one tell me the best way to clean all the flesh from the skull and such without spending much money, im only 17 and most of the money coming in, goes right back out to gas and insurance. Thanks a ton!
-Jake
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Euro Mount

yeah if you boil just the skull for a while till the meat is all cooked and then it starts coming of but it will take a good part of the day to do this.then make sure you don't leave it in there to long or the bones will get soft but make sure the antlers are'nt getting boiled either then after that bleach it again do not let the anlers get bleached either or it will turn them white and after that it should look pretty good.
good luck!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Euro Mount

WILDLIFE TAXIDERMY
BY
RICHARD G. SANTOMAURO
1732 HIGHWAY #71
WALL NJ 07719
Phone# 732-449-5950
E-MAIL [email protected]
Web page address: http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
European skull mounts

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long.

Rich