Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ne 1 not score with bow yet? >

ne 1 not score with bow yet?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ne 1 not score with bow yet?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default ne 1 not score with bow yet?

i posted this in deer hunting also, but i wanted to see who has not connected yet with their bow? how many times have you hunted. have you been completely skunked, gotten close, missed a few or what? i have missed one completely and couldnt locate another. i usually hunt private land and usually have a few deer by this time in the year, but im hunting strictly public land this year since i lost the private land and it makes it somewhat harder. thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Default RE: ne 1 not score with bow yet?

I have been bow hunting for 15 years, and have yet to kill a deer with it. I have had my shots, even at some very nice deer. One day I hope to get this monkey off my back. I shot at 2 this year, under both of them (I hadnt practiced this year at all, and if I had, I wouldve known I was shooting low). Did some practicing and got the sight lowered and smoked a half starved problem wild dog. Thinking of putting the gun up and getting the bow back out now that I have some meat in the freezer.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM

I've passed on a few so far this season. Nothing I've wanted to shoot has come by -- yet.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have logged between 80, and 90 hours so far with nothing to show for it.[:@]
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Passed on a small 5 pt......... Was Busted by a Doe.............Came within ten yards to shooting the biggest buck Ive ever seen on stand but no shooting lane was offered. Watched two mature bucks chase does in the distance on two different occasions. This is my third year hunting and the first year I am yet to harvest a deer this late in the season, but its been great seeing such mature bucks Ive never seen before while on stand. It was actually my first time watching such a big buck chase a doe and man is that exciting!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM

i am still bow-kill-less. 3 with the rifle though. i have had some really nice 120-130 bucks and plenty of small bucks come within 20 feet of me and couldnt shoot them because it was earn a buck and i didnt shoot my doe to earn my buck yet. i was so sad!!! i did hit a doe at about 30 yards but hit the pocket between her shoulder and lungs :-( we never found her...i felt bad wounding her though...soon i will get one with the bow...hopefully next year
Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did not connect in Bow season - passed a couple smaller bucks - and never had a slam dunk shot on a doe.

I'm re-evaluating my bowhunting strategies this past fall as we speak -
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Missed a 170"er right over the crease that would have put him in my freezer. Passed a bunch of other ones that didn't meet my goals/standards. Gonna shoot a doe if I can't get what I want to come in.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

This is my first season bowhunting -- I've passed on several yearlings (15 yards or less) and had a couple of does that were just outside of my comfortable shooting range (about 35 yards), so I didn't shoot -- maybe I could have made the shot, maybe not -- the last thing I want to do is wound one and lose it. Been busted a couple of times early in the season before I learned the difference between scent control for gun hunting and scent control for bow hunting.

I did kill a turkey with the bow on my first bowhunting trip back in early October. Since gun season came in two weeks ago, I've put one nice fat doe in the freezer. I'll bang another doe with the .243to get the required minimum of venison in the freezer and then bring the bow back out. Late bow season in my county runs until the end of January. Still shooting my bow on my "indoor range" 3-5 times a week.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 AM

I passed on a doe on opening day, she was too skittish and I didn't think I could draw without being busted. Other than that, I haven't seen too much action.

Ken