Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you score or have someone score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not? >

Do you score or have someone score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you score or have someone score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

Old 05-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do you score or have someone score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

I for one have scored every buck I have shot. Not for the bragging rights as some would claim scoring is for, but for my own personal information and satisfaction. I also weight all the deer I have taken just the same.

So what do all of you say, score or no score? WHY?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you score or have some score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

I would like to learn how to score my deer like a professional does. My dad and I have scored are bucks but we just get an estimated score. I would rather have my buck scored by a pro because they know what they are doing ect. Quick question buckeye. Where in ohio do you live because I live in tuscarwas county and If you know how to score deer really good maybe I can bring my buck over and you can score him.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you score or have some score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

personally i have never scored an animal i have taken. i have dinked with the tape a bit myself after looking at score sheets for reference. im guessing my biggest whitetail is around 130, best muley 170 both rifle. best elk may go pope and young, it would be close. i did get an antelope with my bow a few years back which i think would go close to 80. hes a dandy. i guess the real reason ive never had anything scored, is it costs $25 to enter in the books, and that seems like a waste of money to me. (i know im cheap and pathetic), although if i ever get a REAL monster, i will have him scored and entered

brad
Old 05-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always like to have an idea of what "class" my animal falls into (for comparison sake with others I have taken) so I genreally always stretch the tape on the animal myslef. However, I never do this right away. It's generally done weeks after the kill. It just seems dissrespective to me to see guys carrying tapes in their daypacks! It just seems that these guys are nearly always let down because their animals doesn't measure up to what they thought it was and suddenly some alot of the buzz is lost. That just isn't the way to do it.

I have got a coupe of my bucks officialy scored just to see how accurate my numbers were. I'm proud to say that I'm nearly always only a very small fraction of an inch off.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do mine.I have no problem counting to 20
Old 05-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you score or have someone score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...Whitetail+Deer

here is a link to measure your own buck. it adds everything for you and does all your deductions. just follow the directions.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Do you score or have someone score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

Downtown,

Thanks for the link.

Buckeye,

I have never had my deer scored, I have tried it myself but I'm never sure if I'm doing it right or not so I don't mention scores when I talk about my deer. The link downtown provided looks as if it may be the ticket. So I will get a nice 1/4 in tape and go to town on em!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigJ

Here is another one you can use. I believe it is a little more user friendly than the B&C's spreadsheet.

http://www.luckybuck.org/index8824.html

Let us know what you end up with.

Quick question buckeye. Where in ohio do you live because I live in tuscarwas county and If you know how to score deer really good maybe I can bring my buck over and you can score him.
Trumbull county. I am in the NE part of the state. Around an hour to an hour and a half from Tusc county.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Site Bouncer

Buckeye,

Thanks for the link, it does look pretty easy.

I need to get a cloth 1/4in measuring tape first though. I think my main problem has been trying to measure with a steel tape. It's a 1/4 in but just too hard to control (you know what I mean?)

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I scored them at 1st. But after you get a few... who really cares what it scores? Unless its a new record or something, just hang it on the wall, and go find the next one.

Quick Reply: Do you score or have someone score the bucks you shoot? Why or why not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.