Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which do you prefer to go to? >

Which do you prefer to go to?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
local guy
67.95%
bass pro
5.13%
gander mtn
6.41%
cabela's
10.26%
walmart
5.13%
farm & fleet (or farm store)
0%
other
5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Which do you prefer to go to?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which do you prefer to go to?

I would rather support a local ( Mom & Pop ) owend pro shop / archery range than a big brand name store like Cabela's or Wal-Mart.
Why ... you ask ... for the simple reason is that you get more perseonel care and attention than you get when you shop at the others.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

RIGHTON!!

ORIGINAL: silentArcher

The local guy because he will know what he's doing better than someone who is only working at the archery department for a day of two.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've went to some of these Cabelashops and Guander Mountain archery shops where I liveand most of them have been idiots to me. I tell them i have a recurve and they say (They still make them?) Yep, pretty narrow minded if you ask me!! Local guy anyday even if his prices are more. Respect means more then anything to me.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

I buy anything I can from my local guy.....because he's convenient.....he's a friend....and I want him to stay in business. Only thing is.....his hours are Mon, Tues, Thurs., Fri. 11-6. Sat. 10-2. EVERY POSSIBLE hloiday off.....including this past week, entirely.

Works both ways. Sometimes the "other guy" is just as convenient.....because he's OPEN!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 AM

Good input. I like my local guy too. He's a Korean War Vet and still going strong. Very well liked, trusted, and has a nice little shop in the back of his house.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

I picked the local guy. This choice generally costs more, and sometimes you have to go to a bigger store for immediate availability of an item, but you tend to get better service right when you need it. And gosh darn it, he's gotta feed his family too. I've seen the small guy go under for lack of support, and if you don't feel ashamed, you are no friend of mine.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing like having a local guy who knows you and yur setup. Those "BIG" stores are a little short on the "experience" end of things. I was perusing the Cabela's about a month a ago and overheard a simple question about arrows and three of their guys had three different answers. LOL!!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 AM

For little stuff I will go to the local pro shop if they have it. And I am blessed to have several good local shops near me. One is close enough I can walk there, it actually butts up to the other end of the trailer park I live in.

I have a Cabela's and a Gander Mountain both less than our from me in opposite directions, and a Bass Pro shop a little more than an hour a way, with another one going up closer. And a very large chain named after the male member which this site edits out every time I use it fairly close to me as well.

They are good for one thing, selection. Especially Cabela's, it is just hard to compete with the inventory this place has. The only problem is you never know what will be there from month to month because they are always changing stuff around. And the prices are not that great either. My local shops can usually match them, if not beat them on prices.

Now if we are talking a larger purchase like a bow or a gun, no question it is going to be a local pro shop or a gun store. I don't care if I pay $30 or $40 more on a couple hundred dollar item. The quality of service at the time and after the purchase more than makes up for the price difference.

I don't think I would get a bow at Cabela's if someone else paid for it.

Paul
Old 11-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

local guy every time...cant get the service and knowledge at the big stores....cant sit there and shoot the breeze for an hour with some kid behind the counter at the big stores...some big stores, like cabelas, might have expirienced archery techs...but even still, id take the local guy...

my problem is the local guys either treat me poorly, or dont have much selection...i pretty much ruin it for myself...when they dont have what i want, i order it elsewhere(online) and bring it in to have put on...but none has OFFERED to order what i want for me..another thing i think that hurts me is that im 20 and seem to know more than some of the guys in the shops...i dont try to come off as a know it all, im not..i know that...but i know what i want and know enough to talk about stuff like string creep...and i think thats another reason why i get mistreated...

that being said, this summer i wanna buy a fletching jig and press and vice and tuning tools so i dont NEED a shop unless im buying a new bow...save money, know things were done right, and no more hassle...
Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Spike

Local guy anytime. Our local dealer has answered more questions for me than all the big places combined and he doesn't act like I'm annoying him with questions.

It kind of sucks because he just lost his other job and is leaving town so now the closest bow shop is 50 miles away. He was a Bowtech dealer and out here in Western Kansas we don't find to many of those. He will be missed.

Quick Reply: Which do you prefer to go to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.