Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 urban area hunters >

urban area hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

urban area hunters

Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: urban area hunters

I agree, a deer shot in an urban setting is most likely going to head for cover after the shot. Of course if it is a great shot then no worries. It will drop dead anywhere from ten to thirty yards.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have had certain spots that I only hunted evening hours, then if I shoot one I can track it at night if need be.(as opposed to 11am in full view)
Also I have skipped areas on weekends and hunted weekdays only, if there was too much human traffic/eyes.

It almost sounds like I'm hunting illegally, but I am legal, just trying to avoid drawing attention.

Just do your best, and pass on the "iffy" shots. You'll know what I mean when it happens, the question will be, do you have the self-control to pass? It's easy early in the year, but gets tougher as a lean year runs out... :-)
Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stabnslab_WI

I hunted a golf corse b4 and the deer were unbelieveable i used to see 40+ deer in one 2 hour sit with multiple bucks. I would have deer feeding forty yards away as I would climb up to my stand and never care that i was there. It wasn't much like hunting but It was still awesome.
Haha!! That is funny because I hunted off of a golf course this year for the first time ever and I was very thirsty in stand so I got out went onto the golf course and got a drink from the jug of water stationed on the golf course. I then walked to my buddy and asked if he wanted something to eat from the clubhouse because that is where I was heading myself. I then went back into my stand and grunted in a little fork horn. It felt so weird I do not think I will ever do it again.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 AM

Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Gotta love a challenge!

I guess that's about as weird as having the outfitter drive you to your stand......come get you at lunch......take you back after lunch......and come pick you in the evening. This.....after he tells you which stand to sit in....because deer no. 342 has been coming by this stand every day at the same time for 12 days straight. 'Course....you wouldn't know that......'cause you've been in YOUR state (country?) for those previous 12 days.

Oh yeah.....and the bait pile's behind that tree, there.....in front of your stand. I'll be back at dark.

Great! You got him, Eh!!

Careful ye who cast hypocritical stones that they're not shaped like a boomerang.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have a small tract of land that isn't in an urban area, but part of it (the high side) is right across the street from a house.

I think it all depends on the deer. I've seen deer that were less cautious, then I seen deer that alterted upon every wind gust or bird churp.

One thing is certain...when I am in the stand and hear their dog start barking 20 minutes before day light, I know whats going on. I've been hunting this one certain buck for two years now that travels across my land right in the corner of their yard to get to a treeline that spans across an overgrown field and eventually leads to a pond. I about got him a few weeks ago b/c he was running late, but so was I and I bumped him right at day light walking to my stand.

One of the biggest bucks I've ever hunted was behind my ex gf's house. He was a 9pt that was over 22'' wide. He eventually got hit by a car. One thing I learned about these deer is like stated above, the deer patterned the people. I never seen a single deer until AFTER the school buses were out of the neighborhood and never seen a deer after the school buses returned that afternoon. Every deer that I seen would be from about 10:00am to 2:30pm.

I know a guy who hunts near that spot now and says that its better now than it has ever been. Sure wish I could have kept that spot. Oh yeah, did i mention that it was only a few yards outside of the city limits?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM

Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice avatar! I see you got him, EH!?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM