Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
would you enter a p&y? >

would you enter a p&y?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you enter a p&y?

Old 01-23-2003, 08:25 AM

Default RE: would you enter a p&y?

I shot a 130's class this year and didn't enter it. It green scored in the low 140's but I remeasured it at 60+ days. I admire it on the wall and I like knowing roughly what he would score but I have no interest in entering him. I agree P&Y probably does help us hunters out but so do other organizations that I already support.

THWACK!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:37 AM

SilentAssassin,
I understand where your coming from. I'm not one of those guys that runs around with pictures in my wallet ready to pull them out on a moments notice.I guess I personally don't view entering the record book as bragging. Only a few friends and family even know I have a record book deer .But I have enjoyed reading stat's over the last couple of years derived from P&Y entries,time of day killed, average age of hunters, locations ,etc. which I think would be more accurate with more entries .I agree with you 100 % on the hunt itself is most important !
Old 01-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

cbm sc,

I don't think of someone else entering a deer in the books as being bragging either. I would think it was braggin if I did it though (does that make any since). I think it's great that other people do so and completely appropriate. For me to do so would be like putting an elevator in an outhouse, it just would fit.

Protect your hunting rights, "Spay or neuter a liberal."
Old 01-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about those people that have an adjustable let-off from 65-80%?How can anyone say that the bow was not set to 80% when they shot the trophy and then they change it to the 65% after making a record book kill?Or are these adjustable let-off bows not allowed to enter?
Old 01-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I killed a B&C buck in 74 that I didn't enter, why? It wasn't a state record even, it would have been up there for Va. though. I have no problem with folks that want to get theirs into the book, but to me P&Y or B&C, unless it was at a minimum a state record I wouldn't spend the money to get it into the books, the books mean nothing to me to just say "I have one in the books". I like horns, but I am not a horn hunter. Both P&Y are great orginizations and I have the utmost respect for them and what they do for our sport.

If you look at thier minimum scores to get a deer into thier state books, it is low enough to where there are quite a few deer that qualify to "Make the books" every year, why? To bring in money, nothing wrong with that at all, but I have seen some "Book Bucks" that really were not that impressive.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-23-2003, 10:18 AM

I've never taken a Whitetail that woud qualify for P&Y but I have taken two Caribou and one bear that qualify. I did not enter any of the animals. As someone was stated earlier, I don't need my name in some book, I just enjoy the hunting.
I think if I ever got a State record or something of that class I would register it with the appropraite people just for the chance to add a few dollars to my hunting fund and set a new mark for the next fellow.

Work hard and be true to yourself.
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...kas/index.html
Old 01-23-2003, 10:25 AM

Nope!

Der Jagd Meister
aka [email protected]

Old 01-23-2003, 11:30 AM

Here is my two cents.....I personally see value in the Pope and Young and their record keeping process. On many occasions I have flipped through the pages of the P&Y record book looking for trophy hotspots that someday I hope to visit. The foundation and bylaws of the organization may not be agreeable to everyone but it is an organization that you may choose or not shoose to become a part of. Many times hunters build their ego on top of a P&Y score and fail to see the true value of the club. To date I personally do not have an animal registered in the P&Y record book but will have one soon. I'll register the animal because it is a great representation of the specie for the area in which I hunteed and I think it should be duly noted.

On the other hand, I have a friend with ~90+ P&Y class animals to his credit and has his name listed only once in the book. He has accomplished what most famous bowhunters/writers base their careers off of and he doesn't want to make it public. Heck, with all that he's done its sometimes diffuct to get a good hunting story out of him. Its not that he doesn't respect the organization, he owns every record book, it just that he doesn't see the purpose of registering the animal I guess.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:52 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I've only taken one that was large enough for P&Y, and I just mailed the paperwork & pictures to them yesterday.

JRW
Old 01-23-2003, 12:59 PM

I personally have not shot a buck big enought yet, but I do haveone elk entered 322. Its not a ego trip or anything I just felt this elk was special and should be recognized. I can now proudly display him with his certigicate underneath him. This gives my nin-hunting friends a better idea of the caliber of animal they are looking at.

Quick Reply: would you enter a p&y?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.