Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA Deer Scent question - Tink's >

PA Deer Scent question - Tink's

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA Deer Scent question - Tink's

Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default PA Deer Scent question - Tink's

Located in NW PA. Picked up some Tink's Super Lure / Deer Lure last week. Packaging said it was good during the rut. Thought it may help get a buck to come to me. A couple times I laid a scent trail. No luck, but buck were spotted every time out. I'm sure one crossed the scent trail.

Today, without a scent trail, a 4 point walked within 5 yds of a scent pad at waist height and the buck ignored it. Wrong scent? The rut seems to be in, but not sure how a buck could walk by it and not pay attention at this time of year. Thoughts?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: PA Deer Scent question - Tink's

I have found mixed results with scents. Sometimes they seem to work a little bit sometimes I've had deer haul butt out of the area when they pick it up. I don't know if they are worth it or not.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 PM

They only think I ever got a scent to work on when i used them were small bucks. Thats because during the rut, the mature bucks actually push the does around and the smaller guys are out looking for does that dont have a big guy follwing yet. So IMO, using estrous scent is pointless......i dont shoot small bucks.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Personally I've haven't had much rut experience....saw a 4 point today and his kneck wasn't even swelled and ignored everything I thre at him. It might just depend on what area in P.A. you're hunting. To be honest, I haven't had much luck with any scents except for "Hunter Specialties Natural Doe Urine".
Old 11-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had great luck using scents but I don't use stuff bought at the big box stores for the most part. I figure every deer in PA or anywhere else has smelled Tinks and knows something is just not right. Might fool a young buck or even does to come in and check it out but anything else is heading the other way.

Tinks must have a million deer to sell as much "urine" as they do. OR.. something is not quite right.