Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting and ethics. >

Bowhunting and ethics.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and ethics.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:39 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Bowhunting and ethics.

These close up shots like 6 paces are harder for me than a 30 yards shot. Alot of people messes up these "6 pace" shots and hits only one lung.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM

I agree with bigcountry, the close shots are actually harder than the longer ones, and the higher you get the harder they get. This is a shot that HAS to be practiced.

I think ethics for bowhunting distances are based on to many things to define or set a standard for. It really depends on your skills on shooting ability, judging distance, where you hunt, where you live and and how the deer act in your area.

I have a self imposed limit of around 30 yards and I use a range finder to set a perimeter around my stand taking note of how far a certain bush, tree or rock is from my stand. When a deer walks into the circle I know it's mine. That being said I don't think I would be afraid to take a 40 or 50 yard shot on a deer that was relaxed and had no idea I was there. Providing I knew the exact distance. I have practice this shot and know that I can do it. I have complete confidence I can put an arrow in the vitals of a deer at that distance. However the conditions would have to PERFECT in order for me to take a shot like that.

I tend to hunt field edges, not deep woods. Not really by choice, that just seems to be the type of properties I pick up. So I am not overly concerned with shooting lanes and things of that nature. And some people out west would never kill deer if they could not take a shot that far.

Like others here though, I have never had to take a shot past 20 yards on a deer yet.

And your comment about any jack ass being able to kill a deer with a rifle at 200 yards, I don't know if I agree with that one. 200 yards is not that easy of a shot on live game. I know people that have trouble at that distance off a bench let alone in the field at live game. I gun hunt as well, but I can't use a centerfire because of where I live. I use a slug gun or inline muzzle loader. To me 150 yards is really pushing it, and that is not shooting off hand either.

And I haven't had to shoot a deer past 80 yards with a gun either, usually its more like 20-50 yards.

Those are my opinions anyway.

Paul
Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alot of you people in here may be able toshoot at 40 and 50 yards and hit your spot! Now tell me how many of you know that animal is not going to move in that long time it takes for that arrow to hit that tiny spot your aiming for? If there relaxed or not, you don't know when there going to take that step, you just don't know! This is bow hunting folks, not gun hunting!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Alot of you people in here may be able toshoot at 40 and 50 yards and hit your spot! Now tell me how many of you know that animal is not going to move in that long time it takes for that arrow to hit that tiny spot your aiming for? If there relaxed or not, you don't know when there going to take that step, you just don't know! This is bow hunting folks, not gun hunting!
I know the animal is not going to move about as much as you do that your animal isn't going to move at 20 yards. Or when I take a longbow shot at 20 yards, I bet my compound will get to 40yards much quicker.

This is the bowhunting page, that means were bow hunting so we know that.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Ive taken animals out to 60 yards. I will only do it when the conditions are right. The only animals ive taken that far is hogs. They are less prone to jump, and are about half blind, so they stay in place after the shot. Ive taken deer out to 45 yards many times. Im very practiced at these distances and feel very comfortable. Now with my trad bows, my limit is 25 yards. Nothing more.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Its called, knowing the animal and reading it. Which every bow hunter should size up at every distance.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my issue with the long shots comes down to this. Many people on here have stated "It was a perfect shot at 15 yards and I missed. I don't know what happened." If you have missed at 15 or 20 yards for no fathomable reason, how much more that chances that you will miss at 50 or 60 yards? It just goes to reason that increased real estate between you and the animal and increased time for the arrow to reach its target will increase the possibility of something going wrong.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

An ethical shot means that you are confident in it. If you can pull off a 50 yard shot comfortably, then more power to you. I cannot, so I prefer to keep my range at around 30-35 max.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I know the animal is not going to move about as much as you do that your animal isn't going to move at 20 yards. Or when I take a longbow shot at 20 yards, I bet my compound will get to 40yards much quicker.

This is the bowhunting page, that means were bow hunting so we know that.
The bottom line is that i will not wound as many animals as the next person who is winging arrows out 40 to 50 yards hoping the animal won't move! For your info too Bigcountryi'm pulling 73lbs back with my recurve, i can't say exactly what it shoots fps but she's very quick! I'm guessing its in the 220 to 230 fps range!I know my arrow without a doughtwill get to my spot at 20 yardsbefore your 300 fpscompound will hit its spot at 40 yards!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Forget it! You guys are all right and i'm wrong! I'm just a dumn red neck shooting a recurve i guess who doesn't have a clue whats going on out there! I'M DONE WITH THIS TOPIC!

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and ethics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.