Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting and ethics. >

Bowhunting and ethics.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and ethics.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting and ethics.

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I myself haven't but a cousin of mine shoots a new Mathews, last year out west elk hunting in Montana he wounded 2 different elk at 45 yards and at 55 yards. He told me both shots the arrow was going perfect and just like that the bull took a stepandhe hit itback in the guts and the other he hit in theknuckle of the shoulder. He is an excellent shot while practicing at these ranges. He wasn't to happy!
Have fun getting 15 yards from a bull elk.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Ill add one more thing,

If you dont know the animal, and cant read his mood, you dont need to be flining arrows at him at any range, Period.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

what makes someone a jackass for using a gun some places you can not get close enough for a bow and in some areas the terrain is so hard it is near impossible to get to those good areas where the deer just hang out

it is unethical for you to put down other hunters for using legal and ethical means to hunt
ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Where does the line lay now with bowhunting and ethics? More or less I mean... how far is too far when it comes to bow hunting?
By nature and upbringing... I see no reason to shoot at an animal more than 35 yards away... and thats the extent at witch I will draw and shoot on a deer... I can get close, and i know I can kill at 15 - 20. 40 and 60 yard shots seem way too unethical for me to even talk about. Too much can go wrong, the possibility of wounding an animal is elevated about 50%.
So, just because you can hit a target at that distance, why would you shoot an animal that far?
Any jackass can kill with a gun from 50 to 200 yards... I thought the magic of bowhunting was supposed to be up close and personal? The cream of the crop?
its a figure of speach, don't be a tool.
Its funny how defensive folks get and start taking cheap shots at your ability etc etc.... just because you came out and said... most bowshots should be around 25 yards.... If you wanna take the chance and ruin an animal cause you wanna take a pot shot, then so be it.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

THIS GOES BACK TO 1982 WHENI STARTED SHOOTING BOW....
I was taught that if you can hit a target/vitals constintly(spl)at say 50 yrds you take that in half and your max range then would be 25 yrds.I have kept that as my max,I have killed 1 deer at 27 yrds from the groundbut that was with a newer compound,most of all my kills have been under 20 yrds.The same goes for my longbow and recurve,I hit 20 yrd vitals so 10 should be my max but I just got back in to trad last yr and will have to wait till nxt yr to hunt
due to shoulder surgery in oct.I would feel ok shooting out to 15 yrds tho.
So you see I belive its in how you have been taught......
Ive heard HOROR stories of guy thinking they can shoot 40-50-60 yrds that just piss me off.
So you see where my ethics are.....
Old 11-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily
Have fun getting 15 yards from a bull elk.
[/quote] Its tough but thats bow hunting! I haven't been lucky enough myself to get an elk yet but my dadand alot of his recurve, long bow, andcompoundbuddies did it many times while hunting inthe mountains. They have shot in the neighborhood of 15 cow and bull elk together as a groupin Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana! Not one shot was over twenty yards! It can be done, a person has just got to work there tail off and sooner or later it all pays off in the end!