Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting and ethics. >

Bowhunting and ethics.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and ethics.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowhunting and ethics.

My bow pulls 62 pounds and I got a complete pass thru at 35 yards. So I will shoot 40 yardsbut no further. That is my limit, and I wont push it any further than that.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 PM
bigcountry

People like to quote ethical posts or say this or that is ethical, but what I have figured out is most set those ethical standards off thier own limitations. For example, it blows my mind to think a 35 yard shot with a longbow could be ethical. Why? I can't do it. I can't consistently hit the vitals of a deer at 35 yards. In fact, 18yards is my limit. But several famous traditional bowhunters can and have.

I know people that can shoot 50 yard shots over and over with a compound. I would bet they could hit a deer more consistently at 50 yards than most at 30.

Bottom line is, you should know your limitations, and not force your limitations on others. Hunting is a personal thing, and does not have to be a competition.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Reads like you had an awsome setup witch means you done your job as a hunter to bring deer into your setup and you made the shot . Thats what its about .
Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: blackpowderfever

i have been bowhunting only 3 yrs avidly, but none of my shots have been more then 15yrds, last thursday i shot at just 7 paces
[/quote I was speaking to you .
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

I agree u should shoot at the yardage u are confortable at. But me i like it up close and personal it just gets my adreanlin pumping that much harder i like to keep my shootin within 30 yards.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a doe Saturday morning at 6 paces from my tree. She was actually sniffing my treesteps! That was one of the most enjoyable hunts of my life!

It's about getting close. That's why I love bowhunting.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I killed a doe Saturday morning at 6 paces from my tree. She was actually sniffing my treesteps! That was one of the most enjoyable hunts of my life!

From a stand ? If so , How High ?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

This post nails it... Its about getting close.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree it is about getting close. More so I believe with Whitetails than with some other game animals. I am going on a mule deer hunt in a couple of weeks. I have been practicing out to 60 yds. And if given the opportunity and a CLEAR shot at a CALManimal I will shoot out to 50. I often hear of bowhunters in the west taking longer shots on big game animals because the terrain requires it.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

People like to quote ethical posts or say this or that is ethical, but what I have figured out is most set those ethical standards off thier own limitations. For example, it blows my mind to think a 35 yard shot with a longbow could be ethical. Why? I can't do it. I can't consistently hit the vitals of a deer at 35 yards. In fact, 18yards is my limit. But several famous traditional bowhunters can and have.

I know people that can shoot 50 yard shots over and over with a compound. I would bet they could hit a deer more consistently at 50 yards than most at 30.

Bottom line is, you should know your limitations, and not force your limitations on others. Hunting is a personal thing, and does not have to be a competition.
IMO: Bigcountry has the answer: To me; what defines an "ethical shot" is any shot you know you will make 99 of 100 times, and and only YOU can define that shot. If you're good enough to make a 60 yd. shoton a deerrunning through heavy cover on a foggy day every time, well then fire away. For me, I feel comfortable out to about35yds.under normal conditions. Anything different only means I have to shorten my range.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and ethics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.