Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just one item for the rut? >

Just one item for the rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just one item for the rut?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just one item for the rut?

Sitting on the stand my mind starts to wonder away about questions I would like to see whatothers would say. As I turn the can, hit the grunt tube, lay some scent, and rattle the antlers, I think "IF I WAS ONLY ABLE TO TAKE ONE OF THOSE WITH ME TO THE WOODS WHAT WOULD I CHOOSE?" My question to you is........What one item would you take with you during the rut? Your choices are GRUNT TUBE, THE CAN, RATTLING ANTLERS, or ESTORUS SCENT. Answers please and whybecause at this point I am ready to throw all of them out the window and just sit there!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just one item for the rut?

Now, with the good buck doe ratio and low hunting pressurewe have where i hunt, i would take the antlers hands down. I have had amazing success with them in the last 2-3 years...before that, when the buck:doe ratio was worse, responses were rare. I have only had onebuck of any kind actually come into a grunt call, ever, that I can recall...but that was the12 pointi took last weekend so go figure. Even then he did not respond to me untill I snort wheezed at him with my mouth...then he responded to grunts too.

Honestly though, accessories are overrated i think. they work a portion of the time but i try not to depend on them as my 'main' plan.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would say the grunt or scent i would properly go with the scent
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Bartender

The can, it brought that big boy in last year for the kill during peak rut.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

rattling antlers, i just feel like they are the most effective at getting a rutting bucks attention
Old 11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

the can for me
Old 11-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading "Fraley's" post about the can I think tomorrow I will follow his instructions and see what happens........tomorrow the can only!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM

The CAN!

I swear by it. I have had mature bucks turn 180s on multiple occasions.I do not blind call and only use the can if the buck is at 100 or so yards. I hit it for a full length once, wait about 5 seconds and do a 3/4 length tone. This almost always turns them. The real trick is to hit a half length tone once they get to about 60 yards or else there is a good chance he may stay out of range when he doesnt see a doe. You gotta be quick with that last flip of the can and get it back in your rightside coat pocket!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Predator19

The CAN!

I swear by it. I have had mature bucks turn 180s on multiple occasions.I do not blind call and only use the can if the buck is at 100 or so yards. I hit it for a full length once, wait about 5 seconds and do a 3/4 length tone. This almost always turns them. The real trick is to hit a half length tone once they get to about 60 yards or else there is a good chance he may stay out of range when he doesnt see a doe. You gotta be quick with that last flip of the can and get it back in your rightside coat pocket!
I couldn't agree more!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Spike

The grunt!! it will never let you down. I use the MAD grunt.

Quick Reply: Just one item for the rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.