Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can't get my head back into the game >

Can't get my head back into the game

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't get my head back into the game

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Can't get my head back into the game

Let me start backa few days ago when I posted about the biggest buck I've seen to date on Halloween. He was at 150 yards or so and headed away, neat.Then on thisMonday morningI went to an old spot that I really like in the morning.I have no stand thereso I sit a hedgerow and watch the hay field.Well three hours is about as long as I cansit unless I'm ina tree so I got up and started to still hunt the hedgerows that cut the hay field into many sections. I was going way to fast and not stoppingto look enough and came around a bend and blundered into a nice shooter at twenty five paces.He high stepped itthrough the hedge into the next field and stopped. I grunted at him and he just stood there andmilled around while Itried to figure out how to salvage the situation. I decide to get over to the hedgerow and get ahead of him and maybe I'll get a shot. Hewas looking hard trying to find me so I dropped and froze. After a few minutes of this I look up the field on my side of the hedge only to see a better buck staring at me from 80 or 90 yards. BUSTTED with no way out. I just sat and waited for them to leave. I love it. Over the years I'vehad many such encounters and I just chuckle and tip my hat to them. Point to you sir. THEN THERE WAS THIS MORNING. I went back to the same area and sat in ahedgerow futher up the field were the activity took place onon Monday. I saw one doe and one nice buck at thewoods line at the end of row I was sitting in. Soon I gotthe urge to move and decided to to go sit at the end of a long row that leads into ahollow at the top the field. I got to the edge and was looking for a place to enter when I saw the rack and ears no more than twelve steps away inside the hedge. I froze and we stared at each other. I got to count all twelve points while I prayed " please, please,please " but no matter how hard I tried I could not burn a hole through the brush to hischest and away he went, up the hollow then out across the top of the field. For the first time in my life I felt like someone just punched me in the stomach. I could not laugh and tip my hat at this one. He took my breath away. Hewent 140" easy.I tried to stayout but my head and heart just were not in the game anymore so here I am relating the story to you while I figure out what I want to do or where to go this afternoon.[&o]. I hope you guys don't mind the stories because at the end of the day I have no one that is really interested in hearing how the day went. My wife asks but she's just being nice and I don't have any hunting buddies around here. Thats one of the things I miss about being upstate at deer camp.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can't get my head back into the game

Sounds like you've had some AMAZING encounters with some awesome deer. Keep your head up, you'll get em'. Persistance pays off in good ways. And your stories are always welcome here.

Kyle
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have some grat bucks in the area. Is there no chance of getting a stand upso that you can set and let them come to you?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Keep your head up, and the deers to the ground. Just being in the woods keeps me going out. Its great when I see deer, but watching the rest of the wild life move around you as if you were not there is almost as fun. stay focussed and you will get the opertunity.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting busted like that is tough and I know exactly how you feel. You just have to stay positive and realize you are seeing some great deer. Something will break for you as long as you are seeing deer.

Stick with it and good luck.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remember, a lot of people are not seeing the great deer you have seen. Keep your spirits up and know that you will see them again.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck and be fortunate that you are seeing nice bucks and that you are able to hunt as much as you do. This year, my hunting time is VERY limited, as I was only able to bowhunt 3 days so far, will be able to huntthis weekend, and then gun season starts. I will be able to gun hunt, but its just not the same as hunting with my Bowtech.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Just remember that you now know the big guy is out there. Next time hopefully he wont know you are. Good luck and keep at it.