HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can't get my head back into the game
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 AM
CCPaHunter

Default Can't get my head back into the game

Let me start backa few days ago when I posted about the biggest buck I've seen to date on Halloween. He was at 150 yards or so and headed away, neat.Then on thisMonday morningI went to an old spot that I really like in the morning.I have no stand thereso I sit a hedgerow and watch the hay field.Well three hours is about as long as I cansit unless I'm ina tree so I got up and started to still hunt the hedgerows that cut the hay field into many sections. I was going way to fast and not stoppingto look enough and came around a bend and blundered into a nice shooter at twenty five paces.He high stepped itthrough the hedge into the next field and stopped. I grunted at him and he just stood there andmilled around while Itried to figure out how to salvage the situation. I decide to get over to the hedgerow and get ahead of him and maybe I'll get a shot. Hewas looking hard trying to find me so I dropped and froze. After a few minutes of this I look up the field on my side of the hedge only to see a better buck staring at me from 80 or 90 yards. BUSTTED with no way out. I just sat and waited for them to leave. I love it. Over the years I'vehad many such encounters and I just chuckle and tip my hat to them. Point to you sir. THEN THERE WAS THIS MORNING. I went back to the same area and sat in ahedgerow futher up the field were the activity took place onon Monday. I saw one doe and one nice buck at thewoods line at the end of row I was sitting in. Soon I gotthe urge to move and decided to to go sit at the end of a long row that leads into ahollow at the top the field. I got to the edge and was looking for a place to enter when I saw the rack and ears no more than twelve steps away inside the hedge. I froze and we stared at each other. I got to count all twelve points while I prayed " please, please,please " but no matter how hard I tried I could not burn a hole through the brush to hischest and away he went, up the hollow then out across the top of the field. For the first time in my life I felt like someone just punched me in the stomach. I could not laugh and tip my hat at this one. He took my breath away. Hewent 140" easy.I tried to stayout but my head and heart just were not in the game anymore so here I am relating the story to you while I figure out what I want to do or where to go this afternoon.[&o]. I hope you guys don't mind the stories because at the end of the day I have no one that is really interested in hearing how the day went. My wife asks but she's just being nice and I don't have any hunting buddies around here. Thats one of the things I miss about being upstate at deer camp.