Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot a doe

Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Spike

Default shot a doe

Just like it says, I had two really nice ladies walk down a near by trail and push a nice doe right to me. I called to stop her and let a "KILL ZONE" broadhead fly. I shot about 12 yards and hit high just behind the shoulder and came out low on the far side. The arrow did not pass through but stuck out about 4 inches on both sides. Had a weak blood trail for about 150 yards then decided to back out because it got dark. She passed another hunter who actually was impressed with my shot placement, he said he almost shot her again but thought she looked wobbly and let her walk. Now the blood was red, it had no signs of a stomach shot. I am thinking I hit either infront of or behind the lungs. The deer ran uphill which makes me think?? I don't know if the broadhead opened, thats the only way I can see this happening. Anyone have any expirence with KILLZONE broadheads?

PS- I am going out at first light to find the doe, I hope she isn't far from where I stopped looking tonight.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shot a doe

Why wouldnt that guy shoot a wouded deer if he had the chance? if i seen a deer walk by wobblin with a arrow stuck in i would put it out of its misery...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Spike

Unfortunatly not everyone is like the people on this forum. The real shame is I don't feel like I made a bad shot, I guess we won't know till I find her.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hit high behind the front shoulder and it exited low on the opposite side you at least got one lung which judging by the long trail is what happened. I have only seen one deer that was truly one lunged make it through the night. That deer was really hurtin' the next mornin' too! I think you will find her tomorrow. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Spike

Well I am going to need all the luck I can get, I just checked outside and it is raining pretty steady, hope she didn't go far from where I last saw her. Has anyone ever seen a deer that was hit good (heart, lungs) run uphill for 100 yards? Thats all I don't get?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Adrenaline makes them do crazy stuff. That deer is dead, you just need some luck in finding her. I once shot a doe alittle far back, got liver, maybe part of one lung. This deer proceeded to go 1/4 mile thru the most rugged and steepest stuff on the property. It took me and another guy 3 hours to track her down into a gorge basically rapelling down from tree to tree just to keep from falling to our deaths. We finally found her half in the water and half out of a big stream on the other side of the gorge. Heartbreaking ending since there was physically no possible way to get her out except for a helicopter. It was unbelievable.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck finding her. Please keep us posted.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like she's dead, good luck
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Spike

Well spent half the day looking for her, with no blood trail and way too many places for her to hide I came up empty handed. It really bothers me because I feel like my shot placement was perfect. I have only ever lost one deer before and that was because I gut shot her and didn't wait long enough. I guess this is a part of bowhunting, at least the foxes will eat well. Sorry to let everyone down.