Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Public land issues >

Public land issues

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public land issues

Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Public land issues

OK well as most of you know, I'm huntingpublic land this year mostly. This is due to losing some land and injury preventing me from securing new lands in a timely fashion. Well I've found a great spot. Hunted it several times when conditions were right. My last time there before tonight was Tuesday. I hunted the area Thursday but winds prevented me from going to the direct hot spot! So tonight I get about halfway up the tree and say what the heck is that. In a tree 15 yards away someone has recently set up a fixed stand, complete with strap on rungs which are locked with cables etc. Now my plan was to leave my stand at that tree and go in before light and sit till dark! NOW I'm betting this yahoo will be there. Yes I can beat him in..but he went to considerable work to put that stand up and the fact that I'm there probably won't deter him!
So does the fact that I pack in a climber make meless entitled to hunt there? By virtue of me seeing his stand does that put the moral compass on me?? Even if I've never seen him there? Now where do I go, what do I do in the AM?? You say move a little..well this is a draw between 2 Big hills..the deer come through that spot!

I did see 7 deer 1 soso buck that I probably should have shot just to end the frigging drama!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Public land issues

Fixed stands should NOT be left on Public ground IMO.

No differnet than a guy who builds a blind and guy who just sits next to a tree. Does the blind guys have "rights" to the spot?, Nope

Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Its public land, so first come first serve. But expect having your hunting day ruined the day both of you decide to hunt.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt public land here in Kansas. Luckily, I have found out that alot of the hunters here are a little on the wimpy side and set up within 150 yards or so of the truck and really don't put any effort into scouting. I have learned though that there are people who work the properties and such for the state that can give some really good insight on where good deer are and how many folks hunt them and where. Its a good idea if you hunt public to
A. scout it out
B. befriend the guys who work the property
c. get there early.
D. enforce policies set by the state and inform other hunters that your there to do so.
E. meet the other hunters whenever possible and talk over favorite spots... don't give your secrets away but knowing where guys are keeps things safe.
F. stay away during gun season.

Public land can be a great hunt if things are kept ethical and you make sure you know the property better than the rest of the yahoos.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

I live next to Goverment Land and I leave a Stand up every so often.If I go out there and someone else is in the area,so be it I guess I have company.

Last season I was hunting my own property,had a Guy within sight setting on the fence.I did go over and tell him what I thought,but like he said he wasn't on my property.

big rockpile
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I say its a chance for you to put your hunting skills to the test. When you take that big buck, you will have a witness. LOL!!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]Gr8T I don't hunt public land. Around here ; they get over hunted. I made it a point to read this post though. It seems to me that public land is just that, "public". He has no more rights to that spot than you. Get there before him and he will most likely move on. I would if I were him. If he doesn't move on: go to the barber shop. Get as much human hair as you can. Use it to make a 30yd. circle around his stand. Then you move on.

[/align][/blockquote]
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Are you hunting Ohio or Pa? I'm pretty sure permanent stands areprohibited on public land in PA. You have just as much right to that land as he does. Just get there before him and play the blinking flashlight game