Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feet cold

Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Feet cold

I have good thick boots. Just wondering if I can layer to heavy wool socks with one another? Or will this screw up the wicking and heating they create.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Feet cold

I wouldn't wear two pairs of heavy wools socks, as it would like be real tight in your boots and/or cause sweating. I would do a regular pair of socks and a pair of wool socks with one or two toe heaters if necessary.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy handwarmers and open them up/shake them, and expose them to air for several minutes until they get hot. Put them in you pocket and when you get to your stand put them in your boots (2 pairs of socks) in-between your pairs of socks. I did this last year in 9 degree wether and my feet did not get cold. I have tried everything else and this is the only thing that works.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I tried that, but that can get costly pretty quick if your hunting everyday, morning then evenings.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM

I cant for the life of me remember the name of them, but my uncle bought me two pairs of socks for christmas one year. At first i was like, "Who buys me socks?" But, they're like a synthetic wool or somethin, they go for about $18 a pair, but my feet have never gotten cold with them. I just loosten my laces on stand and im ready. Ill try to find the name of them and repost it.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:51 AM

GOOD liner socks, and GOOD wool socks. Not all wool socks are created equal...

Hey, if all else fails, get yourself a pair of those heated socks....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Did you ever think that the socks may not be the problem.Your body is designed to cut off blood to your feet first if too much body heat is lost.Make sure you keep your head warm(most of your body heat is lost from there) also drink water,even when you are not thirsty.As you breath you are displacing the moisture from your body.That will make you cold.Dress in layers.Another tip is to pack your outter layers of hunting clothes in to your stand and finish dressing there.This will help keep you from breaking a sweat on a long walk to your stand.Once you break a sweat you going to get cold.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

exocet--use small socks on the way to walking to your stand, this will cut down on the amount that your feet sweat. When your feet sweat and the temps are cold, the water freezes on your feet, making them very cold.

After getting to your stand, but on a good pair of warm socks.

Buy some booties to put over your boots, they will help trap the heat inside your boots to keep your feet warm.

Here is the link to the booties:

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...2810623a.shtml

shadow

Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I like Smartwool socks and those chemical toe warmers.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

exocet--use small socks on the way to walking to your stand, this will cut down on the amount that your feet sweat. When your feet sweat and the temps are cold, the water freezes on your feet, making them very cold.

After getting to your stand, but on a good pair of warm socks.

Buy some booties to put over your boots, they will help trap the heat inside your boots to keep your feet warm.

Here is the link to the booties:

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0006712810623a.shtml

shadow

I have those and in my opinion they are a waste of money. So are the battery powered heated socks.

Quick Reply: Feet cold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.