Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just thinking.... >

Just thinking....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just thinking....

Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just thinking....

OH (almost forgot) I was talking about bow hunting and how challenging it is and rewarding. Answer: Why bow hunt when you can use a rifle?

OK, then we were talking about scouting and tracking, finding sign, and patterning deer. Answer: Why? You can pay $100.00 and shoot one down at so-n-so's. (I'm sure so-n-sos charges more than that by the way.)
Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ever caught a fish stick.................
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Yea the world is changing and taking our kids with it.
I have 2 kids. My son isn't into sitting in a stand and waiting for a deer.
He does like to turkey hunt in the spring. But for the most part he likes his video games and talking on his cell phone. I will say one thing though that I am proud of him for. He is a good worker and works most weekdays and weekends.My daughter on the other hand loves all kinds of hunting. She pretty much wants to go with me all the time. She killed her first deer with a bow last year and missed one her first day out this year. I can only hope as she gets older she doesn't lose interest in hunting. Computers and video games are screwing up our youth I.M.O.

Darrall Dougherty
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Just ask someone if they remember fresh milk, rabbit ears to get TWO channels, $.37 gas and an outhouse.

Farm......I grew up, like yourself, raising tobacco (one county over). We grew 63 acres and it was a fair living.....when you threw in the cattle we raised on the side (my parents and grandparents). I remember whena "night out" for my grandparents was playing rook witht the neighbors.

My grandpa probably felt the same way you're feeling right now about me (back then). We grew up in different times, too (My grandpa was my father figure). He tried to show me things.....and he did. I wouldn't take anything for those memories. I know enough about you, Keith....to know you're doing just fine. Kudos.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kshunter

I agree that in many areas, the country boy is slowly dieing mainly because parents aren't growing them up in that kind of an environment, whether it be the parents themselves, friends, activities, or their lifestyle. For kids to grow up knowing how to do many of the items you listed, they need to be in an enviroment that promotes those type of teachings. A kid may have parents who attempt to give them the country skills, but if the rest of their daily life besides their parent involvement involves everything towards the Big City and PC & TV Society, it's going to be tough for the kid to keep those country skills.

Being from a small town with a county-wide highschool class of about 90, I look back and see how many are now in the big city vs rural America... over 3/4 are now out of rural America. And I can't completely blame them because it's very tough to get out of the city, especially whenwhen you're starting out after college. I lived in the city for about 7 years and it amazed me, the lack of common country skills, processes, terms, etc., that majority of the kids or even adults had.

My wife and I made it a priority in our new lives to live in rural America and raise our kids in that type of enviroment.We finally made thathard stepthis year, and it hasn't been easy...but we didn't expect it to be. But in the long run we know it'll be worth it.
KS, well stated..

In your final paragraph there, Dee and I did the same, we bought a place 45 minutes from work out in rural Idaho...away from our busy city life during the day. Its like driving home to a vacation home for me every day. I dont mind the gas or travel considering I live out in the mountains with the timber and critters.. KS its worth it! I am getting to watch my boys learn and do things they would never have the opportunity to do on a regular basis... Good luck with it all..
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I remember whena "night out" for my grandparents was playing rook witht the neighbors.
Funny, that still is a night out for me and my wife! Hey, we're good at rook!