Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm nervous up there. >

I'm nervous up there.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm nervous up there.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:44 AM

Default RE: I'm nervous up there.

Mr Java and I just started hunting 20ft.. I am never nervous. I wear my safety harness.

You wear a harness ?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: archer58

How do you guys get used to being 20ft. up a tree. I've been treestand hunting for 20 years, but still get nervous and shakey in my stand.
Especially if I don't have some branches around me.
I feel like I'm going to loose my balance if I stand up. I'm harnessed in good and don't have a problem going up and down a ladder or sitting.
It's standing that bugs me.
What's the secret?
Getcha ya some rails around ya and you will be good! Or build a permanant tree house make it big enough you feel cozy!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most important thing is that your platformbe as close to level as it can get. You wouldn't believe the impact that a canted platform will have on you. Next is to have a big enough platform that you can stand without bending your legs around the seat. Another good one is that the stand be secure on the tree so there is zero movement, use an added ratchet strap if you need to, to cinch the stand. Top it off with a quality safety belt. The peace of mind of knowing you are strapped in will make you forget about falling, and shakyness or fear of falling is purely psychological.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken Deer from 7' to 15' inmy stands& also2 P&Y Bear on film at 10'. My current stands are 12', 12' & 14'.
I had 2 Bucks walk in front of my 12' stand 10 min. appart2 evenings ago-wind from me to them. One a busted up 8 & a very respectable heavy beamed 6 point. They walked 10 feet in front of my stand & stood. Both checked the air. They never knew I was there. I have been 20 feet up & am not comfortable at all-15 & under is fine & I have taken at least 75 biggame animals at these heights. Lower your stand & I am sure you will feel better & can concentrate on the shot. good Luck.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 AM

Take off the pink tights, put on your big boy pants and buck up!!

j/k of course......Actually, I think that's a good thing. It means you respect your position, so to say, and that you could get hurt doing it.

I know I tend to get lacidazical (sp??) up there at times, and I've caught myself doing some pretty stupid stuff, like leaning around the side of my climber......Not good.....

It's something you just may not ever fully get over. Roll with it.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 AM

Ive been 20' up before.. I dont like it at all... Im happy around 15 feet. Ive killed plenty of deer at 15'
Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

You need to be comfortable you can kill deer lower. Hunt the wind and you can kill deer off of the ground. I feel comfortable at 25- 30 ft I will not get any lower because I feel like I stick out
Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you when I started hunting out of a climber twenty years ago I was shakey. And that was after I use to teach rappelling (sliding down a rope from a tower and a helicopter). Some of the things that helped me over the years;

1) Invest in the best equipment (climber or hang on stand) that you can afford. Confidence in the quality of equipment goes a long way for me. I use to use home made climbers that would bust a weld when I was in a tree...not fun.

2) Follow manufacturer's guidelines for use; weight limit, size of tree, etc...

3) Use a full body harness. For me, having four points hookup makes me feel better.

4) Don't look straight down if you can help it. I use to have a problem with that, until I got comfortablewith it. Even after rappelling for many years, there is a difference between looking straight down off of a tower and looking straight down off of a small platform.

5) Gradually increase your height. When I first started, I didn't want to get ten feet off of the ground. Now I will go thirty without hesitation. It took me years to get to that point.

6) Practice climbing...a lot. This is the only way you can gain confidence in your equipment and abilities.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 AM

New hunter here (took first doe last weekend) and I agree with twildasin.....get yourself in a permanent stand and you'll feel better. I climbed a tree with my buddy (he went first) and he was up to 40 feet in no time at all. I got to about 10 and started hallucinating (hard to explain fear of heights to people who don't have it) [&:]. One of my goals is to get a foot higher each time I go.

But this past weekend I was in a permanent stand that had solid wood rails all around and plenty of room for me to spread out all my stuff, and a nice bench seat with a back rest. No fear whatsoever, never even thought about it for a second. Oh, and nailed my first deer ever!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a normal feeling, but I don't think it is anything that a wide-bodied 12 could not cure!

Quick Reply: I'm nervous up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.