Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm nervous up there. >

I'm nervous up there.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm nervous up there.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 AM

Default I'm nervous up there.

How do you guys get used to being 20ft. up a tree. I've been treestand hunting for 20 years, but still get nervous and shakey in my stand.
Especially if I don't have some branches around me.
I feel like I'm going to loose my balance if I stand up. I'm harnessed in good and don't have a problem going up and down a ladder or sitting.
It's standing that bugs me.
What's the secret?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 AM

Default RE: I'm nervous up there.

good question..im only about 16 feet up and I still also get shaky at times. haha
Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

hmmmmm...sounds like you actually may have a small phobia called Vertigo. I dont think theres a secret to ever getting over the shakes of standing ina stand, maybe lower yourstand about 5 feet and see how you feel then.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, at least you are man enough to admit it. Most just pretent thier stands are 20 feet high. Just lower the stand a bit, maybe add a bit of cover around it to break up your outline....or hunt on the ground! Trestands, let alone high treestands, are NOT nessessary to be successful.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure you hunt out of quality stands which provide rock-solid stability, and always use the best harness you can buy. I've got some old Summit videotapes and Fall Woods tapes where they load up the harness with like 300 lbs of dead weight and just throw it overboard. Seeing things like that will give you a better peace of mind that you're going to be ok.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lower your stand to where you feel more comfortable. If you are high enough to be scared, it is unlikely you be able to pull off a good shot when the moment of truth comes. Good Luck
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

You get shakey when you stand upbecause trees sway back and forth in even slight wind. It's hard to see but even movement of your feet of just an inch back and forthwith out your brain knowingcanreally throw off your equalibrium.

I don't get scared when I am up a tree 25 - 30 feetbut I do have to hold on to the stand sometimes because if it gets a little breezy I feel like I am dizzy.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can go as high as I want in my API, I feel very secure with the hand rails on either side, even when I swing the front bar out of the way. My hang on is another story. Nothing to hold on to, small platform, etc. I thought I was okay with it but this past weekend it was VERY windy and the tree was rocking pretty good. I sat down and when I heard a gust of wind on its way, half the time I grabbed the bottom of my seat just for insurance
Old 11-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Greg. The first thing is to be 100% confident in your equipement. Try to pay more attention to your surroundings and not on your fear. I can guarantee you that if a shooter came in your fear would suddenly dissappear. try to train yourself to concentrate on other things.
I actaully hate heights but its no big deal for me to get 25 feet up in a stand. while i'm up there i look around constintly looking for movement.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: I'm nervous up there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.