Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Another Question for 5 Shot  4-blade muzzys >

Another Question for 5 Shot 4-blade muzzys

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Question for 5 Shot 4-blade muzzys

Old 01-19-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Another Question for 5 Shot 4-blade muzzys

I am debating whether or not to use my 4-blade 100 grain muzzys for elk hunting next fall. I shoot a Bowtech Patriot at 70 lbs, with 27.75" 5575 gold tip arrows with 4-inch vanes using a 29" draw. The 4-blade muzzys shoot perfectly with my current setup. I chronograph this setup right at 290 fps and have stable arrow flight and great accuracy. I am afraid if I go to a 125 grain broadhead, I'll have to go to a stiffer arrow considering the blazing speed of this bow. Do you think the 4-blade muzzys and 5575 arrows are sufficient for big bulls? Do you have other recommendations as to arrow weight and broadhead weight? The only change I am making for sure is to use 4" feathers instead of plastic vanes. The 4-blade muzzys have proven themselves on big bodied deer, but some of my successful bowhunting friends say to use no less than 125 grain 3-blade broadheads for elk. I am aware that shot placement is key to success, but am looking for input since I want to get to work on my elk setup for next year. I have used a lot of different broadheads through the years - from an old axhead called the "Goshhawk" (must have weighed close to 200 grains or more), to the old 2-bladed Ben Pearson heads with the razor inserts. The Ben Pearsons were good to me for a long time. They flew like field points in my old clanger banger multi-wheeled compounds, penetrated deeply, and I could pick them up, clean them and sharpen them back to shaving condition. The Fred Bear 2-blades were good too, a little tougher than the Ben Pearson's, but they were much more difficult to sharpen.

By the way, the information you put out is a great contribution. The hands on technical trials give bowhunters an inside look at what is vitally important in our choice of broadheads. Penetration, arrow flight, tuning, etc. Thanks! It's a great forum here and your info makes it even better!
Old 01-19-2003, 09:25 AM
CG

Default RE: Another Question for 5 Shot 4-blade muzzys

I've killed 3 bulls (one had a live weight of over 900 lbs)with Muzzy 90 & 100 grain 4-blades and 2 mule deer, all in the last 3 years. To say the least, they are sufficient. I've had pass throughs on all 5 animals and the longest blood trail was about 60 yards, shortest was about 10 yards. I was using arrow weights ranging from 450 grains to 380 grains out of 70-74 lb. bows. These heads are VERY effective on elk. Excellent blood trails! FWIW the weight of the head has VERY little to do with the efeectiveness or durability of the head, IMHO. It's all about design. These heads would be perfect for your set-up.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 01-19-2003, 10:09 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I am debating whether or not to use my 4-blade 100 grain muzzys for elk hunting next fall. I shoot a Bowtech Patriot at 70 lbs, with 27.75&quot; 5575 gold tip arrows with 4-inch vanes using a 29&quot; draw...
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

All else being equal, shooting a 140 grain heavier arrow out of your bow will yield about an extra 21% in penetration (more than 21% downrange) due to the greater momentum of the heavier arrow. I don't know if you want to make this trade of better penetration for a worse trajectory or not, but it is a thought. For the hits which CG had, it obviously was not needed.

beprepn
Old 01-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with CG on this one. I'm no rocket scientists, but your current setup is more than lethal enough for any elk on the planet. We've taken elk with draw wts. from 40lb-50lb-60lb-70lb bows with heads like thunderhead & muzzy. I would say that most bulls were taken with 100grn heads, my son who's 23 has taken 7 bulls and 1 cow all with 100grn heads. Hit them where they live and they won't go far. I personally like 125 heads but you can take elk with either. If you're comftorable with current setup stay with it you'll be glad you did. If this is your first elk hunt with a bow I'd be more concerned with the excitement level when a bull is coming in close than your setup, cause your setup is excellent. Also your KE is 70+ so ther's no problem there. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT. ELKNUT1

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 01-19-2003, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys - -exactly the kind of feedback I need. It will be my first elk hunt with a bow, but I have taken several bulls with a rifle and a muzzleloader. Two bulls were taken with black powder after being called in to 60 and 25yds. The excitement/fever is definitely to be reckoned with - - there is nothing like it. With bow in hand, it will be even more of a factor. When I took my first buck with a bow years ago, my stand was resting on a limb that went downward almost to the ground. The buck was smelling and nipping at the limb just before I shot. He almost bolted because I was shaking so bad the limb was quivering right before his eyes! Ha! I've calmed down a lot since then, but the amazing wonder of these animals up close is still very much alive. Enough to make a mathematician shake like an aspen leaf on a windy day! Jeeze! Bowhunting! One of the great opportunities of my life.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 4 blade 100 grn Muzzy is an excellent broadhead for any game! I picked up 4 packs a few weeks ago, and they would be my first choice for elk with my setup. They are very durable, accurate, and lethal.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS